Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 19
https://www.wpr.org/thedacare-loses-court-fight-keep-health-...

The hospital that tried to keep their 7 underpaid nurses from going to a new job. Lost. Nurses start Tuesday.

Here’s a big fat raspberry to Thetacare. Pthhhhhh!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1

The hospital that tried to keep their 7 underpaid nurses...

It wasn't just nurses it was the nurse/technical crew that runs the cardiovascular interventional radiology lprogram...
7 of 11 members of that program... I don't know that they were underpaid neither do you; I do believe they were mistreated and overwork.
https://www.wispolitics.com/2022/thedacare-seeks-to-protect-...

In the healthcare industry it's called "poaching"

However a well rewarded team does not jump ship. Personally, I would bet it was how they were not sufficiently paid for taking call.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't know that they were underpaid neither do you; I do believe they were mistreated and overwork.

So, not paid enough for the work conditions? I would put up with an amazing amount of guff for $1 million a year. On the other hand, there are things you couldn't pay me enough to do.
Good on the court.

Employees should not be forced to work anywhere, they should be allowed to quit.

Just like employers - should be allowed to layoff or fire anytime. Mind you, now they all need costly HR departments to do that.
No. of Recommendations: 7
The original article (earlier thread on this) stated that one nurse applied to the new job, got a significant raise and told her work friends who then also applied. The original hospital, Thetacare decided to hire lawyers rather than make a counter offer and pay them more.

Hence my description as “underpaid”.

If there’s a stampede for the door it’s underpaid or mistreated or both. If 7/11 people from ONE group walked from a familiar job to a new unfamiliar one and the employees themselves said it was about money…

People hate change. Somethings off there. The fact Thetacare jumped for lawyers is imho very telling.
The fact Thetacare jumped for lawyers is imho very telling.

I completely agree.

The original article (earlier thread on this) stated that one nurse applied to the new job, got a significant raise and told her work friends who then also applied.

Again, you keep saying it was a nurse, these teams are multi-disciplinary. The article never even mentions nurses.

"one member of our team received an outstanding offer not just in pay but also a better work/life balance which in turn caused the rest of us to apply" and that no matching offers were made.

These programs have to cover the lab 24/7, which means that they have to rotate "on-call" between them. The fact that the team member stated "a better work/life balance" was a principal factor in the decision to leave, leads me to believe that they were taking too much call, and probably not paid sufficiently for that coverage time. BTW this is a problem in many parts of the country, hospitals don't want to pay their staff when they are "on call."

I agree with you completely, when you say that "Thetacare decided to hire lawyers rather than..." to find a solution; in the order the Judge said that there was more than a month notice and Thetacare didn't take any steps to find replacements. This was key in his judgement.

Not just in health care, employers are finding out that they don't have the reins on their employees.