Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
they already have all the information they need (income from the return and contribution amount from the 5398 filed with them by the custodian).

Phil, Thanks for the info and the reference to Pub 590. What you said above I'll pass along. The idea that their is no statue of limitations, and all the data resides with the governing agency, that should indeed be enough to warn him away from this future tax dodge.

You may be able to entice him by telling him that there could be a way for him to make perfectly legal Roth contributions going forward.

If the availablity of this is possible without reducing current earned (W2) income, would love to know for myself how to make Roth IRA contributions when you exceed income maximums.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.