Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
The incidence of coronavirus per 100,000 people in Florida is still significantly higher than it is in New York. But the respective governors have a different view.

Florida's DeSantis is determined to reopen the state ASAP, and has forbidden mayors' imposing of masks and other restrictions. NY's Cuomo is on top of the data, and will impose whatever restrictions he deems necessary.

So, who's right?
Print the post Back To Top
But they can both be right if the desired end results are not the same.

The search for the correct balance between the economy and safety is not science, it's art.
No. of Recommendations: 5
The search for the correct balance between the economy and safety is not science, it's art.

That is essentially true.... but it demands both an understanding of the science behind pandemics, as well as the economics involved.

To weigh the risks and make a determination, both public health and economics must be understood.

And Republicans have been very quick to broadcast their ignorance concerning the science behind pandemics.

- The virus is going away.
- Masks don't work
- No worse than the flu
- Take hydroxy-chloroquine
No. of Recommendations: 7
And Republicans have been very quick to broadcast their ignorance concerning the science behind pandemics.

Hey, their grasp on economics is almost as bad as their understanding of the medical science behind pandemics.

- trickle down economics to tax the working class and give billions to billionaires
- claim to support free trade while establishing tariff wars
- increasing the deficit to record levels
No. of Recommendations: 2
Republicans have been very quick to broadcast their ignorance concerning the science behind pandemics.

That is so true. But, in addition, many of them have voiced ANGER against scientists like Dr Fauci. If they would just wallow in their ignorance, it wouldn't be this bad. But they are ignoring the science and even getting violent.

BTW, this is happening in other places like Europe too. So while we might have 70+ million ignorant people, we don't have a monopoly.

Sigh!
But they can both be right if the desired end results are not the same.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????

If I say it's going to snow tomorrow, and you say it's going to be clear and sunny, one of us is going to be right.

Granted, it could be one of those "iffy" days. But if we get a foot of snow......

The experts are predicting that we will have a nasty spike in hospitalizations and deaths just about a month from now. That will be partly due to the millions of people who ignored the CDC and traveled
around the country for the Thanksgiving holiday.

If we get that nasty spike, who was right Grumpy?
Their grasp on economics

Depends on where you are standing and what you are led to believe?

The only thing that trickles down is liquid yellow and smelly. This has been proven time after time. The real success is convincing the masses that it's raining, that they are better off regardless of their circumstance.

Tariffs are bad. The real success is convincing the masses that you are hurting the them foreigners while they pay for it to bail out failing businesses. Convincing them that the US can be competitive in manufacturing, but failing to mentioning the automation that it will take to do so is a convenient omission.

Now Main Street's whitewashed windows and vacant stores
Seems like there ain't nobody wants to come down here no more
They're closing down the textile mill across the railroad tracks
Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they ain't coming back
To your hometown (Bruce)

n proven not to work time after time. It works great if your on the to. but many are convinced that if the rich are better off they must be too
"re-opening" means those workers who need to be on the job in person--especially where there are few or no govt rules or business/organization rules about masking, social distancing, hand-washing, and frequently sanitizing surfaces that people touch--is a terrible problem for workers--and where applicable, customers, clients, suppliers, etc.

The reason schools have not become signifiant sources of spread is that they do have such rules--and enforce them.

I'm worried about a holiday surge in Dec-Jan. Since I have important medical appointments in this time frame, I can't avoid all the stupids.
No. of Recommendations: 2
"But they can both be right if the desired end results are not the same."

One side predicted that the Sturgis bike rally should go ahead as planned, and to hell with limiting crowd sizes and masks. Another side - backed by science - predicted a high probability of a major outbreak resulting from having the rally as planned.

The latter side was unquestionably correct.

Conservatives' inability to accept facts and learn by experience will sink this nation.
No. of Recommendations: 1
If we get that nasty spike, who was right Grumpy?

That will depend on who wants to stop the virus cold and damn the cost to the economy and the one that sees the societal costs of lock downs. Little things like mental health, business failures, drug use, etc.
So who was right still depends on your definition of what constitutes 'right'.
So who was right still depends on your definition of what constitutes 'right'.

Do you remember who said, "It depends on what your definition of is is?"

If health authorities predict a spike and it happens, then I would say that they are right.

If you expand my question to "Who is 'right'? taking into account all the surrounding issues, then I guess YOU are right.
No. of Recommendations: 1
That will depend on who wants to stop the virus cold and damn the cost to the economy and the one that sees the societal costs of lock downs. Little things like mental health, business failures, drug use, etc.

First of all, nobody is going to "stop the virus cold." In Europe, shutdowns have caused a dramatic reduction in the spread of the virus, but only after a huge number of deaths.

In our country, no such shutdown has ever occurred. I live in New York, and our shutdowns were not pleasant, but believe me, life went on.

Were you in favor of the motorcycle rally in Sturgis, SD? Was that good for business? How about mental health, drug use, etc? So the rally was actually a health rally?

I don't know about you, but watching people get poked in the nose, put on ventilators, and dying has a terrible effect on my mental health.
Maybe the liberal press should stop showing this stuff??????
No. of Recommendations: 10
That will depend on who wants to stop the virus cold and damn the cost to the economy and the one that sees the societal costs of lock downs.

But you are assuming the answer you want to hear in that unproven assumption. You choose to believe the lie that the right wing echo chamber has told you - that fighting the virus hurts the economy . . . that the economy would pick-up if we were simply willing to sacrifice more Americans to death-by-Covid.

There is no evidence this is true. Opening up businesses, not requiring masks, holding mass public events, etc. are not proven to help the economy long term. You simply have chosen to believe that lie.