No. of Recommendations: 4
They designed it so that (on average) the lifetime benefit is the same no matter if you file early or late.

Sure if you look at it independent of other parts of your financial picture. The decision is often not look at independently. A person who has other financial products which are impacted by your decision of when to take SS.

How much is your time worth? I pick up the Kroger coupons to save $1 on a slab of ribs --- but we don't clip coupons from magazines or newspapers.At that level of income, coupons are just an eccentricity. The amount you save has ZERO impact on your lifestyle. If we get to the end of the driveway and realize that we left the coupons on the kitchen counter, we don't go back to get them. It's not even worth driving back the 500 feet.

My finances are at their level at this point in my life because I did watch every penny I spent along the way. Starting out, my wife and I clipped coupons because there was an impact on our spending. As our incomes grew, it came less and less important. But the frugal techniques I learned through my life are part of me. We use coupons when we can. We wait for a sale to buy stuff. If a restaurant has lower prices if you are seated before 6:00pm, we don't wait until 6:30pm to eat dinner.

Again I find it interesting that you would raise the issue of things other people do that you don't think matter but you have your own little savings techniques that has zero impact on your lifestyle. For example, all the discounted cruises you take. You could probably take some of those cruises at full price but you take advantage of discounts when you can.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.