Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Sunday, September 25th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Click below to continue the discussion on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
They don't make their data public because they would have to admit that all the numbers they published up to now are totally bogus.
I mean, New York alone will have 3 times the total fatalities of the whole of China? Who are they ============
Maybe.
But in another way I believe the Chinese numbers more than the US numbers.
Not because they are inherently more truthful.

I also tend to believe the Chinese data, because other Asian countries have shown that it is at least possible to do what China claims to have done. The question is, is that a worthwhile achievement? The number of fatalities until now is not the relevant result, what should count is the number of fatalities in say the two years after the beginning of the epidemic, when we might have a vaccine. New York will get its deaths right now, and then it will be over, whereas most of China’s deaths still lie in the future.

Perhaps they will succeed in slightly reducing the total number of covid deaths, both by never exceeding treatment capacities and, perhaps, by postponing infections long enough for their population to benefit from new treatments and prophylactics. If you don’t mind living in a totalitarian state while you wait for that possible denouement, then yes, you can reduce the number of covid deaths, at the expense of extreme human, social and economic disruption, with a certain difficult to estimate number of deaths from that, too, which should also be counted.

Clearly, it is easier to manage a herd of animals, and optimize the disease rate, if you can do whatever you want with them. I am grateful to live in a democracy where it is harder to manage them, since they will not just take orders, although we have proved to be a fair bit more docile than I would have thought. Being allowed to also cheat on the numbers makes it even easier for China to meet its targets, and I have little doubt that that is also part of the equation, but arguably not the most important part.

Never has New Hampshire’s slogan seemed more compellingly true.

Dtb
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.