No. of Recommendations: 6
They follow a strict budget and live solely off Ross's salary until they turn 30, while investing Rachel's $40,000 in a diversified portfolio, which earns an 8% annual return.

This is news? We always lived off of one salary, and banked the other. It would have been nice if that could have been the lower salary, but it was the higher one. In addition, we banked raises on that salary as I figured if we could live on that amount, we didn't need the raise and could save it.

That was advice from my Dad way back when we got married, and we adhered to it. We were still able to have lots of wants and luxuries along the way, put the twins through 4 years of the college of their choice, and I retired this year at 60.

Another advantage to living on one paycheck is that you get immense flexibility. DH has changed careers twice, and we have both been unemployed for long stretches, but none of that has ever derailed our plans.

I know lots of folks who live on both paychecks and then feel stressed about their bills and such. That's just never a place I wanted to be.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.