No. of Recommendations: 2
They have programs all over the world, and their prices include everything but what it costs to get to the location.

I find that once you add in the cost of getting to the location, Elderhostel becomes a very expensive way to travel.

I happened to receive a mailing from them the other day and there's a program in Texas which interests me. Program cost is $561 (+ single supplement of $125 - not sure if I'd pay that or just "take my chances"), but airfare from Mew York to Corpus Christi is $482 + the various fees which are now added to airline fares. Then I have to get from the airport to the program location so I either have to rent a car ($150-$250) for the week or take a taxi (figure $50 each way).

I'm getting close to $1400 for a 5 night trip -- which is really 4 full days. I consider that an expensive trip.

I try to keep my trips at $200 a day or less including airfare and most meals -- With that as a guideline I've recently been to Peru, Costa Rica, and Europe twice. My trip to China (which I cancelled b/c of SARS) would have fit into my price range, but my upcoming trip to Ecuador exceeds it (about $250/day) -- but I'll visit the Amazon, the Galapogos and the mountains.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.