Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
They need laws or personal tragedies.

Wow! Is that a sobering realization. Some people are so stupid that they need to have "a death in the family" before they wake up. And from what I've heard, even THAT is not often enough.

But I guess it's nothing new. One relative of mine lost her husband to lung cancer. The lady still smokes. Actually, she doesn't anymore because she wound up in a nursing home and I doubt that they let her smoke there. At least we can use the excuse that nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on the planet.

But all of this raises the question of why so many people are self-destructive. Are they just unaware of dangers? Incapable of assessing the odds of serious injury/disease and death? Distrusting of public officials?

The Covid pandemic has brought all of this to the forefront. But it was there all along, wasn't it?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.