Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
And didn't mean a word of it. Orchestrated by Silicon Valley and Fox News. Do you get the feeling these guys have a vendetta to settle with their perception of what all Christians stand for?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbertoni/2016/11/22/exclusi...

You notice Fox still isn't talking too much about all this, just making excuses for Trump's back pedaling.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
Jane, I am confused by your preface to this very good Jared Kushner profile in Forbes. Your headline was honing in on the content of the Forbes article.

Here's what I don't understand:

"Orchestrated by Silicon Valley and Fox News . . . You notice Fox still isn't talking too much about all this, just making excuses for Trump's back pedaling."

(And I won't spend a lot of time addressing this "Do you get the feeling these guys have a vendetta to settle with their perception of what all Christians stand for?"as it confuses me as to your intent. I will, however, remind you Kushner is from an old Jewish family with ancestors who died in concentration camps.)

So I will address the Silicon Valley/Fox comments and then comment on the actual article, which by the way, was very enlightening and well written.

Everything I've read to date on the Trump marketing miracle, including this profile, shows Silicon Valley didn't orchestrate anything. Yes, Kushner picked the brains of people he knew out there, who had worked for his RE firm in the past. But Kushner approached them and told them what he wanted, what he needed, and asked the right questions about data mining.

Fox News was deemed "Mainstream Media" by Bannon and Kushner, and notice how Trump "played" them, and not the other way around. In a recent interview (I'll find it and post soon to P/A, Bannon blasted Fox News as being out to lunch.) Fox never saw this coming. And more than one Fox opinionator was anti-Trump after Ailes joined the Trump campaign.

This kid, Kushner, along with Bannon and Brad Parscale, got down and dirty in the social medias and data mined like no one in the DNC or RNC had ever thought imaginable.

There is another reason the mainstream media missed this story: Trump, Bannon and Kushner spent less on traditional media than any campaign in decades. It was a slap in the face of traditional media.

The Trump campaign told anyone who wasn't listening, "We won't spend money in mass media unless we know in advance what message we wish to broadcast in that specific area of the country." Mass media took umbrage at Trump's Un-campaign in "broadcast" TV and radio (note the word signifies casting a wide net).

Mass media delighted in making Trump and his slapped together ground team look like bumbling Luddhites, when behind the scenes, Trump's lean, mean social marketing machine was on fire with new concepts in marketing. They were a special forces marketing team vs. the staid, highly overpaid, grifters which the DNC and RNC had relied on for years.

Through data mining on Twitter, and especially Facebook, the Trump campaign raised $250 million from small donors during the last four months of the campaign, while Hillary's tech savvy crew were still relying on big donors to spend money on big TV buys, big radio buys, big robo-calling buys.

I admire Jared Kushner. He, Bannon and Pasquale outsmarted the beltway muckety mucks of Washington D.C., Los Angeles, and New York City. He is the new breed of campaigner. He doesn't play hardball political campaigning in the traditional sense. He plays "Moneyball" in the same sense of Michael Lewis's book:

From your Forbes link:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbertoni/2016/11/22/exclusi...

For fundraising they turned to machine learning, installing digital marketing companies on a trading floor to make them compete for business. Ineffective ads were killed in minutes, while successful ones scaled. The campaign was sending more than 100,000 uniquely tweaked ads to targeted voters each day. In the end, the richest person ever elected president, whose fundraising effort was rightly ridiculed at the beginning of the year, raised more than $250 million in four months–mostly from small donors.

As the election barreled toward its finale, Kushner’s system, with its high margins and up-to-the-minute voter data, provided both ample cash and the insight on where to spend it. When the campaign registered the fact that momentum in Michigan and Pennsylvania was turning Trump’s way, Kushner unleashed tailored TV ads, last-minute rallies and thousands of volunteers to knock on doors and make phone calls.

And until the final days of the campaign, he did all this without anyone on the outside knowing about it. For those who can’t understand how Hillary Clinton could win the popular vote by at least 2 million yet lose handily in the electoral college, perhaps this provides some clarity. If the campaign’s overarching sentiment was fear and anger, the deciding factor at the end was data and entrepreneurship.

Or as this guy, the CEO of a little company called Google points out:

“Jared understood the online world in a way the traditional media folks didn’t. He managed to assemble a presidential campaign on a shoestring using new technology and won. That’s a big deal,” says Schmidt, the Google billionaire. “Remember all those articles about how they had no money, no people, organizational structure? Well, they won, and Jared ran it.”

Think about it folks, Kushner, Bannon and Parscale (the guy who they hired to run things in the Austin digital mining bunker) outsmarted all the pundits, pollers, professional politicians, policy wonks, etc., inside the beltways. Part of this current anti-Trump vibe is due to all the "pros" being made to look like chumps.

What Kushner et al have done is to drive a stake through the heart of the way campaigns have been run since the 50s. As an ex-copywriter, I understand now why Trump skunked Clinton in several must have states where polls said she led. Trump had the best social media team in the history of politics. End of story.

No resources at the beginning, perhaps. Underfunded throughout, for sure. But by running the Trump campaign–notably, its secret data operation–like a Silicon Valley startup, Kushner eventually tipped the states that swung the election. And he did so in manner that will change the way future elections will be won and lost. President Obama had unprecedented success in targeting, organizing and motivating voters. But a lot has changed in eight years. Specifically social media. Clinton did borrow from Obama’s playbook but also leaned on traditional media. The Trump campaign, meanwhile, delved into message tailoring, sentiment manipulation and machine learning. The traditional campaign is dead, another victim of the unfiltered democracy of the Web–and Kushner, more than anyone not named Donald Trump, killed it.
No. of Recommendations: 0
To answer your question, Rocky, yes, they (the Trump camp mined the data, but Silicon Valley provided the algorithms to create echo chambers (on both sides).

And, yes, during the campaign the "main stream" didn't get it. However there were some old fuddy duddies out there who saw Jared's and Trump's convoluted and sorted past and reported it.

The Trump cabal isn't so smart, really, as ruthless. IMHO. How that plays out for the rest of us, well hopefully I will be dead when the doo doo hits the fan.

Molotov cocktails is the limit.
The Trump cabal isn't so smart, really, as ruthless. IMHO. How that plays out for the rest of us, well hopefully I will be dead when the doo doo hits the fan.

Molotov cocktails is the limit.

ps

More ruthless than the Dems this time, so it seems, except they really are Dems in the first place.
No. of Recommendations: 1
And they thought Obama was brilliant. I hate this brash, successful kid that transformed politics on the fly and did it cheaper than anyone.

I've not read an article yet about him that didn't remind people he was a JEW!!!!!!!!

Well we'll see what happens. So far, they're way ahead of where Obama was in transition, but the next year should be entertaining.

Now that we have white people in the White House, it's fine and dandy to attack the entire family, including the kids. Should be a fun time to attack Trump, the bigot and racist.
Now that we have white people in the White House, it's fine and dandy to attack the entire family, including the kids. Should be a fun time to attack Trump, the bigot and racist.

Oh, yeah. The Bush daughters were targets from day 1. libs remembered scruples when the Obamas came in but now that they're almost out it's time to shred the family.

libs. Poster children for hate.

My personal strategy is to ridicule literally everything they post. It's nit like there was ever going to be a glimmer of substance anyhow; they've managed to lose the ability to think.
Well Jane Bond, I just never thought the virus would inhabit you. Maybe I'll have to support vaccines from now on, like flu shots for Democrats or whatever.

You used to be far more balanced, especially during the days when Hillary was just a terrible candidate.
Well Jane Bond, I just never thought the virus would inhabit you. Maybe I'll have to support vaccines from now on, like flu shots for Democrats or whatever.

You used to be far more balanced, especially during the days when Hillary was just a terrible candidate.

A virus has infected ME? I believe I have pointed out for years that the internet, for YEARS, is by design biased. The more "liberal entrepreneurs" knew this and took advantage of it first.

First I took a beating from the Left and now I guess I will take it from the Right.

Have been called stupid, accused of not knowing what an algorithm is.

IF you had read anything I have said in context I have said it creates echo chambers and has now gotten to the point, if one doesn't read what another does, or vice versa, one is the enemy.

No, my dear, a virus (many of them actually) has infected the entire population via their own lazy, path of least resistance attitude through your little cell phones, computers and TVs.

As far as Kushner being a Jew. I guess you missed the post I made about Jews who have suffered sterotypes when one of "their own" behaves in an unethical matter, just as whatever hyphenated label you want to put on me does.
Should be a fun time to attack Trump, the bigot and racist.

I have said time and time again he isn't. He isn't prejudice at all about who he'll screw.

On the other hand, he played to that to win.

There was no lie he wouldn't tell, no person he wouldn't insult, no socio-economic class he wouldn't use as a bank then go bankrupt.
And btw, HM

I guess that Stalineaque purge of Kushner towards Christie because he convicted HIS DEMOCRATIC RUTHLESS FATHER, completely got by you, or didn't and you don't care.

They probably cut some deal, they would throw Christie's aides under the bus for Bridgegate and some of that infratstructure would make it to his state (and their real estate)
I agree -- don't hang this bag of S&*t (the Trump narrow win -- talking number of votes -- of the electoral collage) on Silicon Valley.

Also, it looks like in spite of everything Hillary won the total actual vote count by 2,000,000+ votes. In my mind,this and other parallel activities prove his marketing machine was really not that great.

Fr instance, consider the interference in the election by Russian intelligence and the FBI. We were under attack by a foreign power and subverted by the leader of one of our core national security agencies. -- Every analysis that does not take these two things into account will never understand what truly happened.

This will go down as the biggest ripoff of an election in our history. A grass roots win my a%s.

America has been attacked and weakened by Russia with the help and support of our political right. We are about to have the Trump Crime Family in charge of our executive branch. Let the rape and despoilment of our country by the super rich accelerate.
I guess that Stalineaque purge of Kushner towards Christie because he convicted HIS DEMOCRATIC RUTHLESS FATHER, completely got by you, or didn't and you don't care.

They probably cut some deal, they would throw Christie's aides under the bus for Bridgegate and some of that infratstructure would make it to his state (and their real estate)

I didn't care. The NY and NJ Democrats play dirty and very hard pool. I would not expect anything less. Are you concerned about Christie now, or were you concerned about him before?
No. of Recommendations: 2
Also, it looks like in spite of everything Hillary won the total actual vote count by 2,000,000+ votes. In my mind,this and other parallel activities prove his marketing machine was really not that great.

Fr instance, consider the interference in the election by Russian intelligence and the FBI. We were under attack by a foreign power and subverted by the leader of one of our core national security agencies. -- Every analysis that does not take these two things into account will never understand what truly happened.

This will go down as the biggest ripoff of an election in our history. A grass roots win my a%s.

Yes, Hillary won the obvious. California and Chicago, a total of 13 states, mostly dedicated liberal states. For some reason, Trump didn't waste much time in those areas. I have no idea why, do you?

Now Hillary wisely spent time in PA, Florida and other key states. Do you know why she did this? Why wasn't Hillary in California more often trying to get even more popular votes?

When a Democratic candidate loses Florida, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, that's really losing. The DNC put out spin control on the popular vote because it was damage control, a memo you apparently didn't get. The rest of your post is just partisan BS, especially when you wanted Clinton to win.
We are not a popular democracy, nor are we a confederation.
We are a federal republic, mixing the interests of the the states and its citizens as best we can.

Like it or not, Trump won 30 states. That's 60%. People need to get over it.

They won. We lost. Next.
-Barry Diller
Like it or not, Trump won 30 states. That's 60%. People need to get over it.

We aren't the United States (USA) for nothing.

W
I didn't care. The NY and NJ Democrats play dirty and very hard pool. I would not expect anything less. Are you concerned about Christie now, or were you concerned about him before?

Both.

It's just bizarre that their convoluted relationship didn't get any wide real coverage, until after the fact.

I also didn't get that whipped puppy look on Christie's face as he licked Trump's boots during the whole thing.

Now I know why and it makes me more concerned.

But as has pointed out, the election is over.

It still doesn't mean those like me should STFU about how and why this played out or where it might lead.

America has been attacked and weakened by Russia with the help and support of our political right. We are about to have the Trump Crime Family in charge of our executive branch. Let the rape and despoilment of our country by the super rich accelerate.

Well, to be fair, if the "Democrats" hadn't played the other side of the race card Trump would not have been elected.

BESIDES in reality a Democrat was elected.

so both sides can rejoice in who threw the best molotov cocktails.

end of story
Never said it did Jane. The only difference between NY/NJ politics and Chicago, is that in Chicago, they don;t need to use silencers, they just shoot at will.

Trump may well be even more vindictive than Obama has been.

I'm not concerned at all how Trump deals with those he doesn't like. Heck, he's already appointed many enemies.

What makes you so incredibly worried about this Christie thing?
No. of Recommendations: 2
Trump has them in that beautiful place where he simply focuses on working long hours and doing a good job, and the media goes bs trying to find something wrong with it.

ONe of the things that really scares people is the real ability to get things done. Considering the dodge and weave and stylistic nature of the Obama administration, I wouldn't be surprised if there's hundreds of simple problems that could be addressed immediately like low hanging fruit.

swamp
Well, to be fair, if the "Democrats" hadn't played the other side of the race card Trump would not have been elected.

BESIDES in reality a Democrat was elected.

so both sides can rejoice in who threw the best molotov cocktails.

end of story

Very true, Hillary lost because of both Obama, and Democrats in general.

Trump as a Democrat? Maybe from years ago, but he's not a politician. He's put a lot of conservatives in positions so far, and it's certainly not payback to hacks, some of his most ardent opposition will be in his administration.

He's moving far more quickly than I thought, and with greater precision for the most part.

I think the best part of a President Trump is that neither party supported him. Even as a one-termer, he's changing politics daily even before being sworn in. I wonder if the media gives him credit for being the most technologically savvy of all at his advanced age. He has his own video feeds for communications, Tweeter extrodinaire, and makes Obama seem like he's stuck in the 90's.

Hopefully he can bob and weave and change as it's needed. He'll be doing this with a GOP Congress, without regard for the media and their requirement to attack any and all Republicans.

The electoral walls are gone, campaign finance reform has just happened, and the Establishment of both parties has to deal with it. Love that part.

If I could hope for one thing, it would be a less powerful and onerous federal government. I know some conservatives go overboard on this, but the message is clear. Especially after eight years of witnessing what Obama's done. As many stated, the next President will be able to use those tools as well. Now by "Tools" I'm alluding to the nastier part of the Obama administration. Just because he's a Democrat, doesn't mean they had to ignore the obvious.

I don;t want Trump to have that either, nor any President. Government abuse of power is not acceptable, and should not be tolerated no matter how much people agree or disagree with the outcome.

Call Trump what you like. I see the strong beginnings of another party, probably forming within the GOP right now. Quite possibly the real world is coming to a government near you.