No. of Recommendations: 7
Things have certainly changed since I came out in 80's when the only there were only a few descriptors of sexuality. Hetereosexual(straight, homosexual(gay), effeminate gay male(queen), for lesbians, there was butch(male appearance) or femme(typical straight woman in appearance).

Things did evolve into transexuals...people who had both sexes genitalia, body dysmorphia-a feeling that they were born in the wrong body due to excess hormones or other reasons. Some I know had surgery, with and without hormones.

But I gotta tell, all these additional distinctions and the assertions that all folks must abide by them is squelching the freedom to speak simply. I can't imagine reading a novel with all the lingo in it, the reading would be cumbersome.

For me, identifying as such and such in a group can be a healing and supportive experience but to make that group the entirety of a college or community is well, oppressive. When it gets down to it, the particulars of one's sexuality and their journey through life can be explored further in one-on-one conversations or groups for such discussion, not by demands that all folks adhere to the specific language.

Lucky, the English-Irish-German and God knows what else American, with freckles, who likes men and women and all creatures great and small, Canine
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.