Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thinking this might be good news since taxes are fairly high in New York and anything that lowers my state wage base would be good.

Nice try, but it doesn't work that way. Assuming you live in NY, you are a resident of NY, which taxes all your income wherever earned. You are a nonresident of all the other states involved. Unless NY has a reciprocity agreement with a "foreign" state you'll pay that state based on its nonresident rules. This may or may not involve actually paying anything. It all depends on the state. NY probably gives you a credit for all or a portion of what you pay another state for income NY is also taxing. You do your returns in this order:

1. Federal
2. Nonresident state(s)
3. Resident state

Try to look on the bright side. It's possible to be considered a resident of two states at the same time.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.