Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
This also keeps the possibility alive that AMSC might get something out of this. When the Japanese decided to test some HTS wire on the train last year, they didn't do it with wire from each of several manufacturers; they asked for proposals from each (including, I believe, Japan's Sumitomo), and picked only AMSC's to test. And from all accounts the test went well. Given that things in the 2nd generation HTS wire world at AMSC are at least as good - or better - than they've ever been in recent years, if there is a way AMSC might talk them into expanding the testing of the wire in the real-world train segment, they'll be working on it.

jp:

I have always thought your insight was excellent and this post is a winner in my book. I have waited years to buy AMSC. I have previously written that I thought 2006 was going to be the year the worm turns but the year looked like a loser until the 348 wire press release:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=86422&p=irol-newsArticle_Print&ID=899963&highlight=

But, even this press release left me cold because of this quote (lots of sizzle but little steak): "This latest accomplishment, following so quickly on the heels of last month's breakthrough in electricity with our HTS wire, continues our very rapid progress in developing 2G products to meet broad industry requirements," said Greg Yurek, CEO of American Superconductor. "The wide range of industries this new technology has the potential to impact is staggering."

Staggering? Yes, heard that before. But, jp, you fleshed it out in my mind. It is too bad the company doesn't hire you to do their PR! Word pictures are what moves markets and "staggering" sounds more like a drunk than a technology breakthrough.

I will spend the next day or two rereading everything about this industry and this company. But, it looks like AMSC's day in the sun is finally arriving -- although I do expect the company to take on debt or sell shares to get through the next 24 months.

jp, thank you.

W.D.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.