No. of Recommendations: 0
This article is in error. A SEP contribution made by a self employed individual is considered to come from the 'employer' side of the contribution. Catch-up contributions may only be made by employee salary deferrals, as would be the case in employee contributions to a 401(k), 403(b), 457(b) or SIMPLE IRA.

What this article may be thinking of are either:

1. catchup contributions to a SARSEP, which are allowable (under certain circumstances)....but no new SARSEPs have been created since 1997, with the few remaining today a result of being grandfathered, or

2. IRA contributions may be made to one's SEP IRA account, but these are limited to a maximum contribution of $5,000 plus a $1,000 catchup contribution if age 50 or older.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.