No. of Recommendations: 1
This characterization goes right next to "Well, she's got a really nice personality" when referring to blind dates. 0-60 in 9.5 or 10 seconds is too slow, dangerously slow. 3BeeJay3 suggests I need to drive the thing to find out whether it's too slow.

You know, I like to deal in a world of facts. Now you set the bar. 9.5 seconds it too slow.

Honda Civic: 9.8 seconds 0 to 60
2010 Toyota Corolla (2011 is unpublished) 10.0 seconds 0 to 60

So you're saying the Civic and Corolla are even MORE dangerous than the, ehem, heavier, under powered, and yet by every person who has test it, FASTER Chevy Cruze. Testing out there is showing 0 to 60 in 9.1 to 9.6 seconds

Oh ya, Motor Trend ripped the new Jetta to PIECES compared to the Cruze in their review.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1007_2011_chevrol...

You can read their whole review above and complain to Motor Trend.

Here is the most up-to-date Auto Week entries in their blog, by each individual editor:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101117/CARREVIEWS/10111987...

I really don't get this argument on your part as it is completely hollow. 0 to 60 time in C class is 9.0 to 10.0 seconds. Cars like the Civic Si and MazdaSPEED3 represent only a FRACTION of total C segment cars sold annually, Mazda is little more than a bit player in the US automarket as it is (and I love Mazda products but truth is truth).

If 0 to 60 in nine seconds is somehow patently "unsafe" in your mind than top selling models like the Prius, Corolla and Civic are horribly unsafe. And yet, despite that underpowered awfulness all over America's highways, traffic deaths and injuries are at a record low.

Hey, my summertime drive is 401 HP of 0 to 60 in 5.01 second and 13.1 1/4 mile insanity. But I hold no delusion, and sorry, that's a harsh word but there is realism, that with coming draconian CAFE standards and a near all-out-war on the internal combustion engine in North America, a decline in performance, not as bad as we was from 1970 to 1980, but never the less, a decline in average performance is coming.

Small, turbocharged 4-cylinder engines are the future. And it seems quite likely, and very feasible if you'd even bother to LOOK at a Cruze, that the 220 to 300 HP (depending on how its tuned) DI turbo 2.0 ECOTEC will find its way into the Cruze as an SS version. If the Cobalt SS is the benchmark for prior performance, and due to limitations of FWD, I'd see 0 to 60 in the 5.4 to 5.6 range. Maybe that will be - adequate.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.