Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
This country has tried banning alcohol and drugs. One failed and the other is an ongoing failure. Each time the action helped organized crime.

Alcohol prohibition failed because it can be made so easily. I can (and often do) make alcohol at home. From there, distilling to harder liquor is reasonably straight forward. It's unpoliceable.

In my opinion, the strategy on drugs was terrible. Too much resource was spent hammering the little guy and not tackling the importation of drugs. Once importation is mostly stopped, then go after the domestic production.

Guns are very different in a couple of ways:
1. They aren't perishable
2. They aren't produceable at home (3D printing excepted)

That means you can concentrate resources on restricting supply (it's easy to stop domestic commercial production and therefore you try to limit imports) but you have a big problem with the stockpile of guns already in the country.

Why would it be different this time?

I didn't say it would be different. I said it's not impossible to stop people getting guns. Just because something isn't impossible doesn't mean success is guaranteed. It would be really difficult to do and would need a clever plan and a lot of resource but could be done (perhaps to getting rid of every single gun but certainly making a huge dent in the number.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.