Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This does seem strange. He also has an unsecured loan with a credit union. (The reason he has one with me is that he couldn't get the full amount from the credit union.) He certainly wouldn't issue a 1099-INT to the credit union, would he? Why would it be any different with me?

Thanks, Roy.

Don S.

<<But, and this may seem a little strange at first blush, it is the person who is PAYING the interest that is required to file the Form 1099-INT. So, since you are receiving the interest payments, there is nothing that YOU are required to file. Simply report the interest earned on the loan on your Schedule B, and you have nothing to worry about.

If the loan were secured by real property, then the form that was used would change (IRS Form 1096), and then YOU would be responsible for completing this form.

But since the loan is not secured by real property, it is the responsibility of the person paying the interest to file Form 1099INT.>>
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.