Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This doesn't sound like a wash sale, I think it's 2 separate transactions.

Transactions that occur within an IRA account don't need to be reported to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Buy and sell all the stocks and bonds you want to in the IRA --- there are no capital gains or capital losses that need to be addressed. What does need to be addressed are sales resulting in a distribution out of a traditional IRA. When this happens, the IRA custodian records the distribution by sending you and the IRS a Form 1099-R to determine the taxes.

Read more: How to Report Sales in IRA Accounts | accounts.html#ixzz2KQxDZDty
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.