Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
This week I sent out a newsletter to all of my clients. One of them from about two years ago sent me an insulting fax saying that I cost him thousands in unnecessary repairs because of my bad recommendations, and he never wants to hear from me again.

That's bad, but he didn't follow my recommendations as far as I know. He was told by a friend of his (a home inspector) that the repairs I recommended were unnecessary, so he didn't follow them. I heard that through the guy that referred me to him. BTW, his house had major structural issues (probably still does). A main support beam was failing big time.

So, it seems I've been insulted for recommendations that a home inspector (not a licensed engineer) said went too far that the the guy didn't follow. Maybe I'm missing something, maybe he followed my recommendations, they weren't enough, and he had to pay extra money. You be the judge. Anyway, I wrote the guy a polite letter asking him to clarify what he said in the nasty fax.

The last time something like this happened, a lady wanted me to give her my insurance company name so she could collect $40,000 from me for a retaining wall I "certified" that failed. She also went to the TV stations and licensing people to complain about me. Oh, and the County too.

The problem was the retaining wall had not only not failed, it wasn't on her property, and it wasn't the one I inspected. The one I inspected was in the wrong place, got torn down and replaced by this one. You know who told me? The lady did! So she put a $40,000 claim with me for work I didn't do. I didn't think it was funny, but my insurance company got a chuckle out of it. So did the county inspector when I talked to him about it over lunch at a class we were both taking last spring.

Anyway, we'll see if this one is the same kind of thing, or if the guy has a legitimate gripe about me. I'm calling the contractors I referred him to this week to see what if anything happened.

George aka BCF
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.