Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
This, I think, is what parents often seem not to understand when they pick up everything and move "closer to the kids."

In our case it was my oldest daughter who told us that a house was on sale right down the block from her sister. I called my youngest daughter and she made an appointment to see the realtor the next day to see the house. She loved the house and gave me a very detailed description of it. She approved. All she had to do was say she didn't think the house was for us and we would have looked elsewhere.
The decision to move to her town was huge. It's worked out very well so far. We love the town and we have not been intrusive into their lives.
My husband said he would love a farm but he also said he'd like to backpack in Spain. One can never tell with him! I know that my daughter is relieved to have us close by because her children were missing out on having any relatives around at all. They love us and we love them.
As long as us oldsters know the ropes, I think we can live close by our kids successfully but have to realize that they do have their own lives and we have ours.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.