Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 10
This is absolutely a crowded space. I work in the HR Technology world and went through a learning management system (LMS) RFP a couple of years ago. I became familiar with a lot of the players. An LMS system is used primarily for:

a) Employees to complete mandatory trainings (i.e. compliance training, sexual harassment training)
b) Employees to "self-learn" in subjects they are interested in (i.e. an excel training course)
c) 3rd party contractors to view/complete relevant trainings provided by the company

Docebo had an impressive sales pitch and lower costs so we went with them. However... the good vibes stopped there. The system was clunky for users and even clunkier for admins. The sales team overpromised and underdelivered. Within a year we were trying to find a way out of the contract.

Ultimately, any LMS system needs to be integrated with an organization's Human Capital Management (HCM) system. That's how the LMS knows who to offer training and when. Workday, who is a leader in the HCM space with over 40% of the Fortune 500 as a client, had no easy way to integrate with Docebo. I suspect since Workday is building out their own LMS, this could be by design. We chose not to go with Workday as our LMS provider because it was a "greener" product at the time and they were not able to satisfy our need to train non-employees (3rd party contractors). However, they have since built out this functionality.

The key point here is that it makes a lot of sense for a company's HCM and LMS to be in a single system, which is why I see Workday being the ultimate winner in this space. Perhaps Docebo might work for smaller companies.

I know this story is anecdotal but wanted to offer my two cents.

-DGordon
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.