Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
This is an ages old JTWROS DRIP account - I was hoping that the transfer agent would get the correct cost basis applied - at least for the half of the shares that require adjusting.
Then the plan was to transfer in kind to another broker to consolidate assets - to make it fairly painless it would be nice to have at least that half basis set in stone when transferred.

How old is 'ages' old? Please keep in mind that for DRIP investments, the basis is required to be reported to the IRS only for purchases dated in 2012 and later. At least in my experience (although I haven't ever had a DRIP account), if the broker isn't required to report the basis, they usually don't. And even if they do, as already pointed out, you can adjust the basis that the broker reports using form 8949 if the reported basis isn't correct.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.