Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Warning--whiny rant follows

Ever have a craft project just go to he11? I am making Christmas presents for my stitching friends--a ruler tote (for our big 6 X 24" rulers) and a matching tote for our portable sewing machine tables. (We go to sewing weekends often and lug our stuff around in tacky plastic bags...) Well, of course I didn't like the patterns so I had to change them....big mistake. Usually I can make something once according to the pattern, then modify it with no trouble.....but not this time. I thought the bags were too flimsy, so I added a lining...and a wool applique floral design...and pockets (lined)...then I changed the fabric to sandcastle (kinda like a quilted denim). The lining is what is screwing things up....too many layers, "right sides together" not working because of the lining (the closure flap gets all messed up)....my fancy thread is shredding....
I have been working on these totes (on and off) for 4 weeks, and they are still in pieces; every time I think I have one problem solved, another one pops up created by the "fix" to the previous problem. I have so much money sunk into these things now that I can't just scrap the whole idea and start over....and I even tried to use my new serger to do them and got a big hunk cut off of one of the totes because I forgot about the knife!
This is just driving me NUTS.

Rant over.

isewquilts....notice the name ISN'T isewtotes?????
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<Ever have a craft project just go to he11? I am making Christmas presents for my stitching friends--a ruler tote (for our big 6 X 24" rulers) and a matching tote for our portable sewing machine tables.>>

The reason your project is falling apart is simple...WHAT ARE YOU DOING MAKING CHRISTMAS PRESENTS IN JULY?????

You are too organized. See it's like this, holiday gremlins are running amuck and usually they are overwhelmed trying to ruin Christmas for everyone and can't get to us all but since you are the only human being on planet earth to be doing a Christmas project, it was easy for them to find you.

Seriously, I hope you find a solution to your problem...and Merry Christmas!!!

Kathy

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm not quite as nuts as it seems! I am a teacher, and I get very little sewing time after school starts. Sewing is usually my summer therapy--except now!!! And my little stitching group does have one rule--something handmade for Christmas presents.
Seriously, I completely forgot about those sneaky holiday gremlins....I did have a squirrel in the eaves of my studio, I think it must have been a gremlin in disguise!

isewquilts
WHAT ARE YOU DOING MAKING CHRISTMAS PRESENTS IN JULY?????

My guess is that you don't want to hear that I start in February (at the latest).
Well, OF COURSE you start Christmas projects in July. At the very latest!

Can you forget about the lining, isewquilts? Yes, I know the raw edge Will Show, but if you're surging it, you can declare that's the seam finish. Everything doesn't have to be couture!

TMFMennis

for whom NOTHING is couture
but if you're surging it, you can declare that's the seam finish. Everything doesn't have to be couture!

I think lots of trendy stuff has used visible serged edges as the style.

Carol.......always late with Christmas
No. of Recommendations: 2
My guess is that you don't want to hear that I start in February (at the latest).
I start with the after-Christmas sales. I finish about 3-5 years later, tho...
OTOH, "friends of ILC" get their winter-holiday cards in July. Pretty much everything folks normally do around winter holiday time, I do in the summer instead. Keeps me from joining the crowds during what is for me the worst time of year, AND helps spread a little cheer at a time when most folks are so hot and muggy they're ready to rip each other's eyes out. Plus it helps keep intact my reputation for eccentricity.
I'm InLivingColor
FWIW......I am almost done with the project from hell...I figured some work-arounds to my problems, they don't look exactly like I hoped but they'll have to do. The lining I added is what really screwed things up....too many layers to sew and turn like the original directions said.

isewquilts
Would it help to make the linings separate and slip stitch them after? Couldn't be more frustrating than what you are going through now.

What are your ruler totes like? I'm making ruler pockets for hanging in the sewing room.

pix