Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Last weekend I discovered an interesting French movie on NFLX: The Stronghold (with Gilles Lelouche, one of my favorite French actors).

Although I don´t live in France, the movie was very impressing/frightening.
The trailer is not very good, but if you like action, just watch the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB8KbeZaGx4

The subject is not knew, but the movie reminds us that the world around us is constantly degrading.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
thanks!

Finished first 2 seasons of The Warrior on HBO.
Good news is a Season 3 is coming. Bad news it may be 2023.

Curse of Oak Island starting soon!

Netflix seems mainly full of crap shows right now...so finding some non-US gems is a good move.

Watched Dune. It was good/entertaining, but not earth-shattering (to me) in the way the LOTR or Star Wars universes were. I get it...lot of people love the book. Chill. It was solid, but feels like part 1 of 3, but apparently that movie was based on half the book, so don't know if that means we only get 1 more movie or what. In fairness, I watched it on HBO and not in theatre, and I am sure the theater experience would have wow'd me more.

Boba Fett coming out on Disney+ in Dec. Seems like a lot of stuff is in the queue all around, due to covid holding up so much stuff. should be a really good 2022 for tv/movie viewing, I hope!

Dreamer
UR very welcome, I knew that if you liked Banshee, you´ll also like Warrior (a show I could watch FOREVER!)

I´m sure that Dune part 2 will follow, but we will have to wait for it at least one or two years.
The books are almost always better/smarter than the movies (I just couldn´t watch "Altered Carbon", which was not as good as the book).

Never heard of The Course of Oak Island, I´m gonna give it a try.

The good news is that Yellowstone season 4 will start on November 7.

Bad news is that even when the market goes up a lot, GLBE doesn´t move in the right direction.

ClubberV
The books are almost always better/smarter than the movies (I just couldn´t watch "Altered Carbon"

---

First season seemed pretty good to me.
Never got thru the 2nd season.

Fun Fact: Warrior produced by Bruce Lee's daughter.
She is fulfilling her father's vision, and Warrior is basically a concept that Bruce Lee wanted to do and star in.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/aug/05/bruce-l...

"In 1971, when her father Bruce Lee was at the height of his Hollywood kung fu fame, he tried to develop a TV show called The Warrior. It followed a Chinese immigrant with martial arts skills who gets caught up in the Tong wars of the late 1800s, the violent clashes between rival factions in Chinatowns across America. Our hero finds himself journeying through the wild west.

Lee envisaged himself in the leading role, and pitched The Warrior to a US studio, which told him that America wasn’t ready for an Asian leading man. A year later, Warner Bros released Kung Fu, which followed a Shaolin monk with martial arts skills journeying through the wild west. The monk was played by a white actor: David Carradine.

So Lee, frustrated with Hollywood, returned to Hong Kong, where he made Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon and Enter the Dragon, the three films that secured his legend and saw his image – washboard stomach, raised fists, ready for action – plastered across posters in student flats the world over. That legend only grew after the star died suddenly in 1973 at the age of 32."

Dreamer
No. of Recommendations: 2
Watching Succession on hbo max.

Really been avoiding it.
I get a bias from assumptions about what I THINK a show will be about before watching it.

Same with "House" which looked lame on previews to me, but which i loved watching.

I liked Suits, so Succession has a bit of that wealthy/powerful scheming against each other. Watched Dallas w my parents as a kid.

Succession works bc the characters are flawed, arent meant to be likable anti-heroes, and bc they are rude and crude. It has warped dark humor in it, too...especially w Tom and Greg and Roman.

Worth a watch. On season 2 now.

Dreamer
These days it´s hard to find a good tv-show/movie, thanks for the tip.

I´m on Succession and I really enjoyed the first 5 episodes.

It reminds me a lot of Yellowstone.

Enjoy the weekend!
"Succession" was a big surprise!

I watched the first two seasons last weekend and I really enjoyed it.

Brian Cox is a good actor and his performance was outstanding at least in the first season.
But his reactions & vocabulary were sometimes scarcely credible.

Home Alone Culkin was a fake from the begining to the end and his vulgarities were alnost all the time inappropriate. I don´t think that anyone behaves/speaks like that in real life.

I liked a lot Ken and Stewy (both very cool!), whom I could imagine as part of a future tv-show based on one of Bret Easton Ellis´ novels (either Glamourama, or American Psycho).

Tom, Gregg and Shiv I didn´t like at all, because the world is full of people like them.

ClubberV
Saw Righteous Gemstones has 2nd season coming in 2022.

So decided to check out season 1.

Very funny/bizarre comedy spoof of rich evangelicals.

Great cast.
If you like Danny McBride then you will like this.

It is very raunchy show...be ready for that.

Looking forward to season 2.

Dreamer
broke down and got an iphone, so checked out Apple Tv.

have a couple shows of interest, but currently bingeing on Ted Lasso and liking it for most part.
I was concerned it would be too "aww shucks" charm-y crap, but the characters have depth to them, plus there are plenty of non-positive-attitude characters to offset Lasso.

For sci-fi shows, they have:
For all Mankind (I saw season 1 previously)
See
Foundation (from famous Asimov book)
I will probably be checking those all out over next month or so.

Dreamer
Foundation

I liked this. Lots of peeps like Invasion as well. It’s a bit slow but still liked it a lot. Preferred Foundation and now have to wait way too long for Season 2.

Enjoy!

AJ
elsewhere, Jeremy Renner was mentioned, and I remembered that I am in middle of watching "Hawkeye" which is actually pretty good and also serves as kind of a holiday/xmas series.

Hailee Stenfeld does a great job and, to me, is very likable character.

Disney has done a great job with Marvel tv series so far, imo:
Wandavision, Loki, Hawkeye.

On Star Wars front, The Mandalorian has been really good. Hoping they keep it up with Boba Fett series coming soon, and the expected Kenobi series.

Dreamer
No. of Recommendations: 3
Who knew we needed another western series.

But we did.

1883 on Paramount Plus. Great deal to subscribe via Amazon prime too.

Reminds me of quality of early Hell on Wheels.

Tim McGraw comes off very authentic.

Good cast.

Dreamer
Started on Invasion.
Pretty good.

Got a bit of “a quiet place” vibe so far..about 5 episodes in.

Will 2022 be golden age of streaming w more shows and movies finally appearing from Covid delays?

Oak island on tonight. Life is good.

Might be nap time.

Dreamer
Started on Invasion.
Pretty good.

Got a bit of “a quiet place” vibe so far..about 5 episodes in.

---

It does get slow in spots.
They move between different characters and some I find more interesting than others.

Near the end of season 1, I think, and it just got all sorts of confusing. Let's see if they can finish strong.

Not every new show can be a crazy awesome mess like "Banshee". :)

Dreamer
No. of Recommendations: 2
I stopped watching Succession and Yellowstone because they became too cheesy and pathetic.
So, I´m gonna try Invasion.

By the way, did you like Raised by Wolves? How about The Silent Sea on NFLX?

1883 looks promising indeed, I hadn´t seen Sam Elliott since Justified.

Even now, after so many years, almost every week I watch short videos from Banshee on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOC_XGCDMuc

Some weeks ago I started ot read the last Neal Stephenson novel (Termination Shock), but I couldn´t get past the first 6 chapters.

I hope that in 2022 we will be able to get back to our old life and wish you all the best!
By the way, did you like Raised by Wolves? How about The Silent Sea on NFLX?

1883 looks promising indeed, I hadn´t seen Sam Elliott since Justified.

---

I will have to check out Silent Sea, have not heard of it.

I did like Raised by Wolves. It got a bit "out there" in parts, but was a cool dystopian future-world sci-fi film. I still remember Earth 2 as a kid and the V tv series. The Ragnar Lothbrok actor from Vikings is in Raised by Wolves, and he is always good for an intense performance.

For books, which for me equals audiobooks, I recently listened to final Expanse novel "Leviathan Falls" which was good but bittersweet end to a series I have enjoyed for years. The tv show based on it is very good, too. Probably my long-time favorite sci-fi universe was Relevation Space by Alastair Reynolds, and I have his latest queued up "Inhibitor Phase" and hope it is great. Jeremy Robinson is always reliable for me, and listening to "Mind Bullet" right now and recently read his previous book "The Dark".

Boba Fett miniseries on Disney just started...will likely watch tonight. 1883 has been great. I finished Invasion season 1 and hopefully they make more seasons as a lot of loose ends. Started season 2 of "For All Mankind" on apple tv last night. It is a revisionist history of soviets beating US to the moon, and a subsequent space race the unfurls. They jump ahead 10 years for season 2, so we appear right in my wheelhouse of early 80s.

The Good stuff has been good stuff for at least 2h of 2021 and appears to be setting a high bar going into 2022. Walking Dead final episodes will start in early 2022...end of an era there. Better call Saul should land, and wrap up that series. That may be legacy cable's last hurrah, as most of the other shows are now all on the big streaming channels it seems.

Not sure I make another trade unless market plunges hard tomorrow or something. Just enjoying the time off this week and being a bit lazy. Happy new year all!

Dreamer
Roku offered Showtime for a $1 so I bit, mostly because I saw that the Dexter series was having a reboot after ten years off or so. Dexter's son Harrison is now a Jr/Sr in high school type, and finds Dexter to live with him. Is he a mini-Dexter????

And then I saw Yellowjackets, which I had heard buzz about from others.

I am really enjoying both right now.

Yellowjackets is a twist on what feels like a familiar story...plane crash strands high school girls soccer team, and craziness ensues, along with flashbacks/forward 25 years to see how they are living and mystery still surrounds their 18 month time stranded. Hints at cannibalism/Lord of the Flies type stuff.

Juliette Lewis (omg...no idea I missed her craziness) and Christina Ricci are both pure gold in their portrayal of grown-up versions of the seriously-messed up teenagers. Whole cast seems solid.

Forget 2022 being golden age of streaming...I think we are already there.
So many shows on right now that I have forgotten what I am in middle of watching.

And we still have the mammoth Lord of the Rings series from Amazon to start I think in 2022.
Have heard good things about Station 11 on HBO Max, but I haven't even turned that service back on again yet.

Wheel of Time - Amazon
Invasion (completed first season) - Apple
For all Mankind season 2 - Apple
Foundation (haven't started yet) - Apple
Ted Lasso (haven't finished season 2 yet) - Apple
Oak Island - History channel - always my guilty pleasure, only 1/3rd of way thru current season.
1883 - Paramount+ - great western series so far and prequel to Yellowstone apparently.
Star Trek Discover new season Paramount+ - haven't started it yet. Gets a bit too sjw though.
Star Trek Picard new season Paramount+ - starts Feb, I think?
Lost in Space - Netflix - haven't finished final season yet
Ozark new season - Netflix - coming soon
Stranger Things new season - Netflix - coming soon
Cobra Kai new season (another guilty pleasure) - coming soon
Succession - HBO - faltered a bit, but still haven't finished latest season
Matrix Resurrection - HBO - haven't watched yet
New Ghostbusters movie - haven't watched yet
Ray Donovan movie - Showtime - coming in 2022 I think
Righteous Gemstones - HBO - season 2 in Jan
Bosch final season - Amazon - solid if not crazy good - have watched a few seasons.
The Expanse - Amazon - loved the books and series is solid. Haven't started current final season yet.
Hawkeye - Disney - just completed, was solid
Boba Fett series - Disney - just started
She Hulk - Disney in 2022
Kenobi - Disney in 2022
Andor - Disney in 2022
Prey - some prequel set 300 years ago in the Predator series...indian warrior against the predator.
House of the Dragon - GoT prequel on HBO Max
Westworld season 4 - HBO
Barry - season 3 - HBO (funny show)
Peacemaker - HBO
Raised by Wolves - HBO - season 2

Holy crap.

Dreamer
I enjoy The Book Of Bobba Fett more than I enjoyed The Mandalorian, but I gues that I´m the only one on the planet.

This weekend I´m gonna start watching "1883".

I saw that "Station Eleven" has become a tv show, but even though I didn´t like the book at all, I might give it a chance. Any feedback here?

Last weekend I watched 2 episodes of Cobra Kai and, even if I really enjoyed the movie many years ago, I find the show...too artificial/childish.

Neal Stephenson´s "The Termination Shock" is everybody´s SF darling.
I read a few chapters and I had to drop it, because I found it very boring.
Besides, the book has over 700 pages.
I enjoy The Book Of Bobba Fett more than I enjoyed The Mandalorian, but I gues that I´m the only one on the planet.

This weekend I´m gonna start watching "1883".

I saw that "Station Eleven" has become a tv show, but even though I didn´t like the book at all, I might give it a chance. Any feedback here?

Last weekend I watched 2 episodes of Cobra Kai and, even if I really enjoyed the movie many years ago, I find the show...too artificial/childish.

Neal Stephenson´s "The Termination Shock" is everybody´s SF darling.
I read a few chapters and I had to drop it, because I found it very boring.
Besides, the book has over 700 pages.

---

I like Boba Fett too...I just preferred the badass he was in the Mandalorian vs introspective Boba Fett. But it has been cool to see Gamorians (sp?), the Hutt twins, Tuskan Raiders, jawas...all with a Western vibe to it.

1883 has been solid, imo. Overly impressed with the husband/wife country singer on how realistic and gritty their portrayals seem to be. Sam Elliot always good.

Currently on hiatus with HBO, but heard good things on Station Eleven. I have too many shows on the other streamers to get thru, but imagine I will be back up on HBO before too much longer, and can weigh in.

Cobra Kai was a guilty pleasure for me...loved that former villian is sort of anti-hero and lives in 80s nostalgia, and it is more a comedy in many respects than drama. But, yeah, a lot of YA stuff thrown in which I tend to fast-forward thru.

I like long books/movies/audiobooks, provided I find them interesting of course. Being 100% audiobook vs book now, I find the narrator is so key. I read many Stephen King and Anne Rice novels in 80s/90s, and interested to listen to audiobooks, but if the chosen narrators are bad, it ruins it for me. There are some authors with clearly interesting scifi but they have loyalty to some narrators I don't like listening to...oh well. Currently listening to "Slow Burn" zombie series...it is a combo of many books into one audiobook, about 40-50 hours. Lasts for days and days, thru meal prep, workouts, etc...

Finished latest Dexter season - was solid.
Finished 2nd season of For All Mankind - was fairly moving actually and now they hinted 3rd season will flash-forward 15 years and have to do with Mars colonization, which I love. Very solid work by Apple TV here.

Currently watching 1883, Yellowjackets, and then probably picking up on Lost In Space on Netflix (which has seemed slower/disjointed to me so far in early episodes of final season).

Like I said...entering golden age of streaming right now. Best find of 2021 was Banshee. Number of contenders already here in 2022, with more to come.

Dreamer
1883 is too slow and unconvincing, I haven´t seen the latest episode yet, but it might be the last one.
The poeting narration is melodramatic, tedious and way too long.
In fact it´s just another tv show (ruined by a bad female lead), which even Sam Elliott can´t save.

"Exit" is a Norwegian tv show which you might find on Apple TV (according to my information).
It reminded me a little of "American Psycho", the book, not the movie.
I saw it in original with subtitles.
If you like Bret Easton Ellis (American Psycho, Glamourama), you´ll definitely líke the show:

https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2021/08/26/norwegian-drama-se...
Just noticed season 4 of "Cardinal" on Hulu. I like it even though it is Canadian and only a few really strong actors. Maybe I just like all of the snow and trees. But I find the plots interesting. (Actually my favorite band is Canadian, so no slight meant to the lovely people up north.)

"Ozark" is back out on Netflix. Wonder how they are going to end the series. My takeaway so far has been - just don't become a criminal and screw up your whole family.
Will have to agree to disagree on 1883. Not greatest show of all time or anything, but i am enjoying it.

Will look up exit. Thinking of starting Foundation on Apple TV soon.

First i am trying to go thru my netflix wishlist so i can cancel again for a while. Eff them and their raised prices.

Boba Fett on disney has been good but not as great as hoped. They made boba too nice. Need to tone down some of the woke crap on star wars and marvel. Not everything needs to be a participation trophy mentality.

On netflix i watched sappy nostalgic guilty pleasure Cobrai Kai new season. It is soap opera quality, but i cant help it.

Also just saw that new season of Ozarks landed. Has been great, and looking forward to it!

The Harder They Fall netflix western movie with Irdris Elba was solid enough. Need to finish Lost In Space.

They cant all be Banshee quality!!

Dreamer
My takeaway so far has been - just don't become a criminal and screw up your whole family.

—-

Good PSA.
Breaking Bad also taught that.

Just watched Ray Donovan movie….similar vibes there.

And The Wire!

Dreamer
"First i am trying to go thru my netflix wishlist so i can cancel again for a while."

A couple of months ago I montioned an older tv show which is now on NFLX: Startup.
Adrian Brody, Ron Perlman, Martin Frreman and Edi Gategy are all great, but the show stopped after the third season. Just give it a try, you won´t regret it.

Idris Elba is great, I could even see him as the next James Bond!
Idris Elba is great, I could even see him as the next James Bond!

——

He would be great, but assuming you want an actor that can do 3-4 movies over 12-15 years, probably need someone in their 30s. Elba is 49 now.

Depends if they try to do a young 007. Charlie Hunnam is 41.

Tom Hardy may have been great…44 now.

Dreamer
Watched an episode of Startup.
Looks real good…nice suggestion thx! Timely with current crypto craze too.

Watched Ozark season 4… so good. There are more episodes to be dropped sometime soon.
" Elba is 49 now."

I didn´t think about that, but you´re right.

I like Tom Hardy a lot (The Drop, what a movie!), but I can´t imagine him as a JB.

How about Dan Stevens or Michael Fassbender?
In anyway, I hope that they won´t choose a woman.
Not THAT ONE.

The bloodbath in crypto is really bad, I guess that the BTC has been heavily shorted.
IMHO it will be back faster than UPST.
Wow…Picard season 2 is awesome.
Episode 2 is one of most entertaining star trek episodes i have ever seen. Looks like a great season.

Going to see new Batman on Sunday!

Dreamer
new Batman movie was very good, I thought. Certainly sets up future installments. Nice and long movie.

I watched season 2 of Upload on Prime. Really liked it. Andy Allo makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I looked her up to see what else she is in, and was amazed to find she was discovered by Prince, dated him, is a musician herself, has some nice music videos. She is still pretty young, but think she is a pretty good actress, too. Seems like someone that has already lived a couple lives in a short period of time.

Dreamer
Tried Reacher season 1 ep 1 on Prime. Pretty good so far. The lead definitely plays it as a tougher bruiser than Tom Cruise movie version. But also has a bit of sherlock holmes in him.

Also tried The Tourist ep1 on HBO and pretty good too. Bit of a No Country for Old Men vibe but throw in a guy w amnesia that someone is trying to kill.

Dreamer