Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
The pandemic has cramped on-screen entertainment a bit...filming paused or movie releases pushed back, both for movies and TV shows.

Much like audiobooks, I find it hard to get thru "mildly entertaining" shows, and if I am really not into it, I tend to find something else to do.

Rooms have all been painted. Rooms have been organized and re-organized. Built some new stairs in the garage. DAMMIT I NEED MY NEW SHOWS FOR MY ZEN TIME...CAN'T YOU SEE I NEED TO BE MORE ZEN!!!

Ahem.
So I decided to put this thread out there to capture the good stuff out there. No crap is allowed to be in this thread, and yes that is totally subjective to each reader, but whatevs.

Example:
I binge-watched "The Queen's Gambit" the last two nights, and it was awesome. Just the quirky, brainy, coming-of-age-prodigy series I didn't know I needed. On Netflix. Tried watching season 4 of the Crown, but really just to see chick from X-Files play Margaret Thatcher, as I can't take the "royal family" seriously. The more they take themselves and their importance seriously, the more my eyes want to roll in the back of my head. So I was happy to at least have the Queen's Gambit this week.

Tuesday nights are reserved for "Curse of Oak Island". This is a pure guilty pleasure. I always had a soft spot for the mystery of history and things like ancient Greece or Rome or Egypt. This show is more about massive engineering efforts taking place on a small island somewhere between 1200-1700, or perhaps a few times in between. Yes, they never find anything significant in treasure it seems, but they do uncover artifacts and signs of human engineering from hundreds of years ago, and I love their passion about it. If I could intern for free on the island one Summer, I would totally do it.

For Audiobooks, this was the Summer of "The Majestic 311". What a perfect book for me...starts out as a train robbery and turns into a Twilight Zone bizarre sci-fi trip across the multiverse.

Will add more later...can't put all the good stuff in one good stuff thread post!

Dreamer
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
May I suggest Rake on Netflix.

It is an Aussie show and I'm on season 2 of 5 finding it incredibly funny and entertaining.
Based on an irreverent, dissolute genius lawyer. The cases he takes on are unique, his banter is fantastic and it is just all around enjoyable.

I also really liked Patriot. Can't recall if that was Prime or Netflix. It is a dark comedy based around an undercover intelligence agent who goes to work for an industrial piping company as his cover to thwart Iranian nuclear efforts. It is also damn funny.

But I have to recommend Rake as my favorite new show.

A.J.
I recommend Yellowstone and Fargo(the series).

Watch them or don't. Not interested in opinions.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Fargo season 4 decent?

I liked seasons 1 and 2 a lot.

Season 3 was a bit tougher.

I only caught beginning of yellowstone. Similar to Longmire, i immediately had urge to buy massive amounts of land.

I thonk i need to make a list of good stuff. And of course rank it.

Ozark on Netflix is another great one.
Hey DreamerDad.
I think season 4 drags kinda like many binge worthy shows do after a while. It seems like I wait a week and nothing happens the whole episode and then it is over. It has some very interesting characters.
current audiobook is the long-awaited sequel to one of the best audiobooks I ever listened to "Ready Player One".

Given a thoroughly original name of "Ready Player Two" the book starts off a bit rough.
Hard to put a finger on it, but it is a bit too woke/preachy. I read a review saying it hits its stride around hour 3 (it is a 13+ hour audiobook) and I agree and am currently enjoying it, but only about 4 hours into it.

The first book blew my mind with so many great ideas around how to revolutionize the world around us via VR. And about that time, Facebook bought Oculus, and the first real VR headsets started coming out.

I own the original Rift, and have the first gen Oculus Quest.
They still need a better game/community around VR to hit critical mass.
I always envisioned Facebook incorporating VR into everything:
1. go to a realtors page and see a home for sale in VR.
2. visit tourist bucket list places like the Pyramids. But I pictured a pre-scanned pyramid via hundreds of drone-hours of footage, allowing you to move about where you want...not just watching a 360 degree recording.
3. virtual lectures, concerts, sporting events...all from the best seat in the house as if you are truly there.

Anyway...the 2nd book is coming up with some newer ideas on top of all that, mainly with neural interfaces to simulate even more realistic immersion. (Think; the Matrix). The book also seems to be pointing out the slippery slope it could be to utterly opt out of the real world. To a lesser extent I have seen this the past 9 months with my kids being glued even more than usual to the online world, thanks to covid.

So, yes, technology offers great opportunities and experiences. But if your health allows, maybe still go climb a hill once in a while.

Dreamer
I stumbled on something that you might have already binged on:
In Netflix 2 seasons of a series called "Intelligence"
Filmed in 2006 and takes place during the time when huge amounts of pot were being smuggled into the US from Canada.
Has the flavor of the series called "The Wire". Kept me riveted even when I should have been packing for Costa Rica.
Thx...will check out. I loved The Wire!
HBO Max - best shows

Raised By Wolves
LoveCraft Country
Watchmen (series)
Westworld
Silicon Valley
Game of Thrones
Doom Patrol (formerly DC Universe show)
Titans (formerly DC Universe show)
Doctor Who
The Leftovers
Boardwalk Empire
True Detective (1st season anyway)
various DC box office movies (WW, Justice League, etc)

Roku friggin sucks. I watch HBO Max on the nicer Sony tv...eff Roku.

Dreamer
For your streaming/bingeing consideration

Amazon Prime
Carnival Row
The Expanse (love the audiobooks, this is a good adaptation)
The Boys (flawed super heroes!)
Man in the High Castle (alternate history / kill some nazis)
Fleabag
Fortitude (started strong anyway)
Hand of God
Sneaky Pete (little known, really good con man show)

CBS All Access
Star Trek Discovery (pretty sure that is only thing worth watching)

Hulu
A Handmaids Tale (Dystopian world)
Castle Rock (Stephen King stuff)
Future Man (immature, awesome)
Reprisal (hidden gem, sort of Sons of Anarchy/mystical vibe)

Will eventually do Netflix (longer list), Disney (shorter...no need to list all star wars/marvel movies), and then (gasp!!) cable tv shows.

Dreamer
Thank you!
Dreamer,
For HBO Max I'm surprised you didn't include The Wire! Probably my all-time favorite series. Also enjoyed The Undoing and Succession more recently. Then throw in His Dark Materials for a show you can watch with the kids.

-Dave
I did forget them, and I am sure others like:

Oz
Mr Show w Bob and David

Sopranos was good but i wasnt as gaga over it like other people. I enjoy deniro pesci and others but in general dont like the glorification of mafia aholes that in reality hurt the innocent.

Like Nucky in boardwalk empire is never confused as being a truly "good" or likable person.

Will have to check out The Undoing.

Dreamer
Has the flavor of the series called "The Wire".

Favorite show of all time. It is even memorialized in my house in a nice framed print from an artist who was commissioned to provide artwork for a story about The Wire in a magazine. Absolutely loved that show.

I’ll say once again that Rake is a great show on Netflix. 5 seasons of which I’ve watched 3 of them. While it is no Wire, it is quite funny and entertaining.

A.J.
The Wire was really epic.
And it kept evolving, as the top bad guys would go to jail or die or new gangs would take over.

So many good actors too, before they made it bigger in other roles:

Michael Kenneth Williams as Omar
Wood Harris as Avon Barksdale
Idris Elba as Stringer Bell
Jamie Hector as Marlo Stanfield
Felicia Snoop Pearson
Freakin' Aidan Gillen
Everyone was just so well-cast.

Spoiler Alert...don't watch unless you have already watched the series.
Snoop has some of my favorite scenes for some reason, probably bc she came off so realistic (turns out she was...see below).

Shopping at the hardware store:
worker explains the different nail guns and why the expensive one was the best. She starts taking out money and hands it to him right there.
"oh...you pay at the register"
"nah man...you take care of that for me" (kills me every time)
"but it was $650 and you gave me $800"
"man...you earned that sh!t"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8zavPW3Bus

"how my hair look, man?" (a woman with balls of steel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v72bOQxGoUI

The woman that played Snoop would later plead guilty to dealing heroin a few years later, in real life: (life/art or art/life)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yszXIlfBYsc

Dreamer
Don’t forget Prop Joe. He was phenomenal.

A.J.
I was going to reup hbomax to watch ww1984 during holiday break.

But constant mention of the wire made me sign up yesterday.

Already on episode 5.
Crappy work week and this ia nice escape allowing the week to move faster. Vacation starts friday afternoon!

Ps...roku still sucks for no hbo max desl.
Mandalorian season 2 was epic.
Wow...revitalized the SW franchise.

So much goodness coming to Disney+ next year or two.

WW1984 out this week.
Not sure i will keep hbomax past this month.

Covid hurt all the filming projects.

Thought about turning netflix back on during vacation. They raised prices a lot for 4k...wtf? Decided I can wait, as I dont see any current shows i want to watch.

When they gonna have another Handmaids Tale season on Hulu??

So i am building a hideaway-bed-style jigsaw puzzle table. Good for my brain and relaxes me, but need a better setup with an angled easel-style table vs leaning over uncomfortably. Thinking of using one of those giant ball chairs to sit on when i do the puzzles...better for posture.

Napkin math says the puzzle hobby is probably more expensive than 3 streaming channels, but whatever...

Dreamer <--- this is what xmas vacation looks like.
No. of Recommendations: 4
A little background.

We live in the Philippines. Not in Manila, in the province. Not in the capital, in a municipality. Not in "down town" proper, in a barangay. Not in barangay proper, in a sitio. Not in the sitio proper, but up on the hill.

Stunning view, but no phone line, no cable, no.... At one time we had Ubiquiti transmitter in town and receiver on tower here but it was unreliable. We had satellite TV but... unreliable. Buy your own descrambler, purchase service by the month. Descrambler fails, send for repair. Get it back, by then month's service period over. Buy a month. 1 week, the descrambler fails. Rinse, repeat. Descramblers made and repaired by Village Idiots Are Us, Inc.

I was never a big movie fan. Just me. Slow internet fast enough for me. Two TV channels and an antenna and we were good. Then one of the channels lost its license. Political overtones. Now one channel and the transmitter near us shut down. Well, enough is enough and maybe the descrambler will be better now. Yep.

So, I have like decades of Good Stuff to catch up on. 50 channels of crap. But, there is Lotus out of Macau. Classic movies. Classic, but current to me. First time I cranked it up, Pirates of the Carib. The Painted Veil. Saving Sgt. Ryan. Apollo 13. (that happened in 1972??? Better part of 4 decades. Oh, the clothes, the hair). The Omen. Brave New World.... Of course you have squint through the Chinese subtitles.

KC
Occurs to me that side benefit of coma would be having a lot of shows to catch up on when you wake.

Glass half-full...
Occurs to me that side benefit of coma would be having a lot of shows to catch up on when you wake.

Good point. Pop culture coma. Self-induced. SIPCC syndrome.

KC

CR Girl that makes $150 a pound, 2-3 lbs a day, trimming bud in Humbolt County was at the National Theater here in San Jose CR and told me about a Netflix mini series about Simon Bolivar.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/18/us/dante-barksdale-baltimore-...

Barksdale, 46, was discovered with a gunshot wound to his head on Sunday morning near Douglass Homes, a public housing development in southeast Baltimore, according to Baltimore police.

Barksdale's work there was informed by his own experiences of growing up in a housing project in East Baltimore, which he chronicled in a 2019 memoir titled "Growing Up Barksdale: A True Baltimore Story."

Barksdale was also the nephew of Nathan Barksdale, a Baltimore drug dealer who was purportedly one of the inspirations behind the character Avon Barksdale in HBO's "The Wire."

Life.
Art.

Dreamer
I don't know where it's streaming at, but I like Mayans, watched the 1st two seasons on
DVD's from library. Newest season is on hold, looking forward to it. It is about
a Mexican motorcycle "club", similar to Sons of Anarchy. I like the perspective of
everyday Mexicans battling against the cartels, and in an upside down world a renegade
MC like the Mayans can actually be the good guys at times. Very violent, of course.

The earlier seasons of Vikings were fantastic, too. The final season, I think, is streaming
on Prime, but I enjoyed the first maybe 4 seasons much more than these last couple of seasons.
Very violent, of course, but imo excellent portrayals of historical figures, and they don't
sugarcoat anything. Love how the Viking women warriors are every bit as bada$$ as the Viking men
in their raids.
Still watching The Wire on hbomax. On season 4 now.

Recently watching Norwegian netflix show Ragnarok, which was entertaining at least.

That reminded me about Norsemen...which is awesome! Think a monty python written Vikings show.

Think i already said i binged Cobra Kai recently...part cheesy but still really good in spots.

May start on Heavens Gate doc on hbo max.

And watched the Tiger Woods doc on HBO Max...really good and well done i thought.

May start on WandaVision on disney. Mandalorian season 2 exceeded all expectation and i am excited for all the new star wars and marvel shows.

And over at Oak Island i am pretty sure marty and rick will find the treasure this week.

I watch Gold Rush and Oak Island and the news on cable. Seriously a lack of shows out there, thanks to covid.

Majority of streaming shows seem to be crap.

Dreamer
Halfway thru Suits seasons on Netflix.
HBO Max - best shows

Raised By Wolves
LoveCraft Country
Watchmen (series)
Westworld
Silicon Valley
Game of Thrones
Doom Patrol (formerly DC Universe show)
Titans (formerly DC Universe show)
Doctor Who
The Leftovers
Boardwalk Empire
True Detective (1st season anyway)
various DC box office movies (WW, Justice League, etc)

---

Handmaids Tale new season is on Hulu...releasing 1 episode a week. Pretty good, but hasn't recaptured the magic of first season. There is so much cool stuff they could be unpacking with things like "how does the rest of world view Gilead" to more flashbacks to how the heck the USA had an internal coup like that in the first place. It has been a bit too much close-up on lead character with anguished face. And then it weirdly can drag slowly in sections and then the plot moves forward super fast. Overall I still like it.

I would also add "Made for Love" to my list of solid HBO Max originals from above.

But a lull in waiting on episodes and not having much to currently watch led me back to HBO, to rewatch a series I previously loved: The Leftovers.

Binged watch the whole series. It is scifi yet drama yet some action/comedic moments, but most of all, I just think the performances are off the charts. Ann Dowd is the actress who plays evil Aunt Lydia on Handmaids and was the arch-nemesis "Patti" who is leader of the resident cult on Leftovers. So good.

Justin Theroux is great as one of the lead characters, and his dad (Scott Glenn) both make you want to start getting in better shape. I looked up Scott Glenn this week and he is a real-life maniac pushing 80 yrs old...punching sharks, skydiving, works out with Marines or Seals.

Margaret Qualley is great for a younger actress and I couldn't figure out why she looked familiar, until I realized her mom was one of my 90s actress crushes (Andie MacDowell from Groundhog Day fame).

Chris Ecceleston (former Doctor Who), Kevin Carroll, Regina King (watch her in Watchmen series!), Liv Tyler, Amy Brenneman.

But probably best of all: Carrie Coon. I hadn't realized that was her under makeup as Proxima in Avengers Infinity Wars. But I loved her in Leftovers and in Fargo series.

This show won't be everyone's cup of tea...but if you don't dislike it, odds are you will love it.

On the Victor Von Doom scale of 1 to 100, I rate the Leftovers 95 VVDs.

Doom
Forced into driving my kids to a last-minute hangout with their friends, I decided to try and squeeze in a movie rather than drive back home, then back to get them, then back home again.

Missed the previews, but sat down just as Quiet Place 2 started, so it worked out good.
Normally a Regal theater-patron, I went to the AMC and experienced their Dolby Cinema at AMC, with the nicer chairs and higher-end sound system.

The sound was pretty great.
Scary/suspenseful movie, but short.

I never saw the first movie, but want to see it now.
Makes zero sense to me how first movie is 3.5 hours long, yet sequel was fairly short at 1.5 hours long. Huh?

It also works (mostly) as a standalone movie, as it opens with a Day 1 view. But I could tell there was a lot of in-between I missed.

Cillian Murphy of Peaky Blinders fame has a key role...good actor.
Emily Blunt is pretty good, and she was great in Edge of Tomorrow, but I am guessing she is a lot more active in the first movie.
Not a huge fan of the son character, but the daughter does a good job.

It loses some points for being so short, but overall I enjoyed it.
On the Victor Von Doom scale of 1 to 100, I rate Quiet Place 2 at 85 VVDs. The opening Day 1 stuff, with the sweet Dolby sound, is more like a 93 VVD though.

Doom
CORRECTION:
I think google broken.

The first A Quiet Place seems also 90 min.

Google it and it says 3 hr 36 min.

Weird.

Doom
How full was the theater?
they imposed blocked off seats to the right and left. Most of the aisles I wanted were all "full" as a result.

So I sat in 3rd row...a bit closer than I preferred, but still good.
The parking lot was decently packed, too.

I went into 3 different grocery stores and my local gym, all without a mask.
The neighborhood pool seems back to normal, too.
My family of five had all had our 2 shots each.

We are turning the page from covid.

Doom
No mask in the theater, either.
Some still wore masks.

Gotta admit it was pretty nice to go almost everywhere with no mask needed this weekend, until I picked up Dominos for my kids.

Doom
Yes, I think that I am only seeing about 10% with masks now.

By the way, the first "A Quiet Place" was quite good. I think that it is on Prime. I think that is where I saw it.
By the way, the first "A Quiet Place" was quite good. I think that it is on Prime. I think that is where I saw it.

--

Wound up renting and watching it last night.
It was ruined slightly bc I had seen sequel first, so I fast-forwarded in parts to "get to the good stuff".

Interesting ending, which was similar to how sequel ended. I don't think it is a spoiler to say this, but basically the movies end more or less on an action being taken, and not on some long drawn-out sappy Sam & Frodo lovefest dialogue. The endings are abrupt and almost have a Grindhouse movie feel to their ending (although the movies are not anywhere campy like Grindhouse). Hard to explain, but if you see the movies, you will know what I mean...the endings are a bit unique from typical movie endings.

You could tell the first movie was more of a lower-budget affair, and the success allowed some pretty sweet FX and spending upgrades for more scenes involving the aliens in the sequel (just my opinion).

Doom
I put this in a thread about ONDS, but belongs here if I ever want to find it again.

----

I am over 300 Audible titles now. I have preferred audiobooks vs reading books for about 7-8 years now.

Running out of sci-fi I am interested in. I like certain readers and definitely certain authors.
There are two that don't necessarily produce the absolute finest books, but rather always consistently-interesting/satisfying books, that I have been reading more and more of. Here are some, but not all and most of my favorite reads and how many titles I own per author.

Jeremy Robinson aka Jeremy Bishop aka Jeremiah Knight - 25 - this guy is prolific and feel like if I was ever to have become an author, this is close to what I would have been. It is sci-fi, but not necessarily space...it could be in a jungle, or a version of hell on earth, or time travel, or involve godzilla-sized kaiju monsters. Never the absolute A+ books, but always solid A/B quality work, and almost always an entertaining listen.

RR Haywood - 25 - first got hooked on author via Code Series, then Undead series, and now listening to Extracted series. Like Jeremy Robinson, this is A-to-B quality, but consistently entertains me without being greatest novel I ever heard/read.

BV Larson - 24 - I feel like this is inflated, bc I got hooked on "Star Force" series early on in my audible listening, and that was about 12 books. The rest has been the "Mercenary" series.

Barry J. Hutchinson - 17 - this was largely the funny "Space Team" universe of books. Phil Thron is a good reader, too. These books got me thru a stressful part of my work career.

Mark Tufo - 15 - was surprised I had this many, but I got hooked for a while on his Zombie Fallout series and related spinoffs. It is "B" quality, but entertaining enough that you keep going.

Michael Stephen Fuchs - 14 - the epic Arisen series. Yes, a zombie series, but this is more series military approach, with just awesome characters and settings. There were few books I had a harder time waiting on then the last few in this series.

Craig Alanson - 12 - all the Expeditionary Force series. Cheesy and overly wordy in many spots, but the characters and spunky AI known as Skippy are like listening to old friends at this point. Like a lot of long series, they start good, fade a bit, and sometimes make a comeback in quality.

John Scalzi - 10 - start with Red Shirts to understand his humor. Old Man's War is another favorite.
Typically read by Wil Wheaton.

Keith C. Blackmore - 9 - The Mountain Man series primarily...a classic among zombie series.

Peter Clines - 9 - includes the Ex-Heroes series and misc novels. Imaginative scifi...but not necessarily space-related.

James SA Corey - 8 - these are the Expanse novels, made into very good tv series too. The reader, Jefferson Mays, has a very unique voice and cadence, and then you get used to him and feel like he utters prose like hot chocolate in the Winter.

Benjamin Wallace - 8 - this was actually (4) but two of the purchases were multiple books in one. He is funny and read by Phil Thron, so I put him and Barry Hutchinson together for comic relief choices.

Olan Thorensen - 7 - the Destiny's Crucible series. Basically, a chem masters grad gets abducted by aliens and dropped on another planet where humans have also evolved, but it is circa 1600s or so technology. Very addictive concept of bringing tech back in time kind of. Series is still going strong.

Jason Anspach/Nick Cole - 7 - the Galaxy's Edge series. They have a ton of spinoffs, but I only listen to the main series. Read by one of the best in RC Bray.

Scott Meyer - 7 - read by Luke Daniels, this is mainly the Magic 2.0 series. Very funny, and about concept of we are all part of a computer simulation, but in this case, some nerds figured out how to hack the code to their advantage.

Dennis E Taylor - 6 - the epic Bobiverse series is great. He also has had two good standalone novels...look forward to his future books.

Daniel Suarez - 5 - very good writer of future application of tech in scifi/dystopian manner.

Alastair Reynolds - 4 - I actually own most of his books, but re-bought some as audiobooks.

Brandon Sanderson - 4 - only from the "Reckoners" series. I don't read his fantasy stuff, which he appears to do a ton of. This series was more sci-fi/superheroes genre.

Rhett Bruno - 4 - standalones and enjoyed them all. Looking forward to more like The Roach and The Circuit.

Andy Weir - 2 - both very good. Martian and The Hail Mary.

Dreamer
I too prefer audiobooks for convenience. I set them at 1.4x speed to help offset that they are slower than reading. And the brain adapts pretty quickly for that.

I have found that audiobooks have helped me not be in such a rush when driving, too. Good for traveling and exercise.

But, I am a cheapskate. After an initial subscription to Audible, I found that my public library offered much of what I wanted for free via Overdrive. I probably get 98% of my audiobooks that way now.

I really liked "Old Man's War" series as well. I need to get to Red Shirts still.

If you need more Sci-Fi and have not read David Brin, it seems like his Uplift Universe was interesting. But it has been a long time since I read it. But I thought there were some of his themes in the Old Man's War universe.
One of my all-time favourites, which I had almost forgotten:

"Tokyo Doesn't Love Us Anymore" by Ray Loriga

You might not find it as audiobook, though, the reason is obvious.

But you should still give it a try, this is really huge.
will have to look around.
Audible does have one of his books in English "Surrender" but it is shorter at 4.5 hrs.

I recently finished the "Extract" series by RR Haywood...time travel topic. Pretty good.

I think this will be a big Fall for audiobooks, and then the deluge of movies/shows held back by pandemic delays should flood the screen and I have a feeling I may be quite the couch potato over the next year vs working on jigsaw puzzles to an audiobook.

Getting back out to a theater is so nice, too...but stupid IL governor doesn't realize Delta cases likely already peaked and he is literally putting a mask mandate for all indoors, regardless of being vaccinated, into effect Monday. Blah. Better not last long.

Dreamer
Yesterday I got the "Extracted" trilogy, I´m gonna read it in September when I´m on vacation.

Books I would also like to read in the next weeks: Ted Chiang ("Exhalation"), Kim Stanley Robinson ("The Ministry For The Future"), Cixin Liu ("The Wandering Earth" - I also recommend "The Rememberence of Earth" trilogy), Dmitry Glukhovsky ("A Memory Called Empire").

Talking about tv-shows, I saw that "The Wire" and "Boardwalk Empire" were mentioned in the thread, but nobody said a word about "Justified" and "Banshee". For me they are among the best tv-shows ever.

I´m not too optimistic about the movies held back in the last 18 months; I think that the studios have become too "woke" and when politics kills ideas you arrive (sometimes very fast) in a "1984" environment. The last good movie I saw received an (unexpected but well-deserved) Oscar for the best foreign movie: "Another Round" (DK) with Mads Mikkelsen (known in the US from the "Hannibal" tv-show).

ClubberV
Talking about tv-shows, I saw that "The Wire" and "Boardwalk Empire" were mentioned in the thread, but nobody said a word about "Justified" and "Banshee". For me they are among the best tv-shows ever.

I haven’t seen Justified except in passing as my girlfriend just started watching it. Haven’t watched Boardwalk Empire which is crazy as it was one of “Omar’s” big roles after The Wire. I shall watch both.

I have seen Banshee. Certainly liked it. Kai Proctor was pretty darn good and the “eye candy” was quite nice. But it in no way compares to The Wire in my book. The character development, dialogue and depth of the story were second to none. Not to mention the fact that it very accurately mirrored real life in the time period and geography.

Maybe the greatest scene of the entire series was the standoff between Brother Mouzone and Omar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3T_2RTDcVo

AJ
“Don’t see no sweat in your brow neither bro”
Justified was great. The lead was great in Deadwood series before that...a must-watch if not seen.

Havent seen Banshee.

Kim Stanley Robinson had epic Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars trilogy in 1990s. I love Mars and idea of settling other planets. His stuff has been a mixed bag since, for me.

Dreamer
RIP "Omar"

What a bummer. And we were just talking about him.
A shame.

AJ
"Startup", a tv show I enjoyed very much some years ago, is now on NFLX.
3 years after the show ended.

Hopefully will get a 4th season.
No. of Recommendations: 3
and now we lost Norm MacDonald.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/14/entertainment/norm-macdonald-...

Between calling out OJ on SNL or his horribly bad yet funny movie Dirty Work, and his standup and roast material, I always enjoyed him.

"I don't think there is a person in here, that wouldn't love to watch Henry Fonda pick blueberries..."

Loved his weird sense of humor.
RIP Norm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELgcOujABcM

Dreamer