Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
This is good timing. I'm interested in such a doorbell too. Ours is the plain old orange glowing doorbell button. And it doesn't always work (i.e. people press it and it doesn't ring). I've read the comments about Ring taking too long to upload an image, and also that if it's pointing towards the street it can easily be triggered by a passing car. That would be annoying. I want it to trigger if someone is entering the porch, not driving by 40' away.

We have the Blink camera system. It's pretty quick. There's perhaps a 5 second lag between when someone enters the porch and we get notified. Usually the notification comes just after they ring the doorbell (when the doorbell decides to work). Which is fast enough to see whom it is before opening the door.

We used to have a hardwired camera there, but it was "always on". And it displayed to the TV. Which was cool, but it took time to switch the TV to that input. Especially if the TV didn't happen to be on. Blink notifying my phone is much better. Unfortunately they don't make a doorbell that I can find.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.