Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

This is not a suggestion, more of a question to my most esteemed and highly respected friends in this contest.

My pick is RAX (Rackspace) which is a cloud computing company recommended by a couple of TMF newsletters.  I chose it because of the write-up in Rule Breakers and because, well, it is an area that I like and understand.  Yeah, I am a closet techie - so sue me.  ;)

RAX and I were happily humming along in the middle of the pack, making the kind of money that lines retirement plans but doesn't  make instant millions.  I can deal with that.  It's what I aim for.  Then on Wed, RAX fell off a cliff.  I missed it.  I was busy chasing a 3 year old (which is what happens when your daughter's ceiling falls in)  RAX dropped 20% in one day on a poor earnings report and went from middle of the pack to the bottom 5 in one day.  Even with that drop, I am still well ahead on profits from the stock if that tells you anything about the company.  So here is the question - and it is a real money question...

Sell or buy more?

TMF has a video up extolling the virtues of the stock.  Essentially, it sounds like 3+ minutes summed up as "It was and is a good company and nothing changed because they missed earnings by a penny"

My inclination is to buy more shares.  FWIW, a couple of rules apply here.  Rule number one - The stock market is a gamble, no matter how carefully you research.  Do not invest money you cannot lose.  Rule number two - Ask for advice from trusted friends as part of your research, but make up your own mind.  Never put your own decisions off on your friends.  Your money, your decisions.  (The reason I repeat that here is for those who might weigh in but won't if they think that I would just grab an answer, act on it, and then try to lay blame or responsibility on others.  I notice that only happens when a stock goes down.  When it goes up, the investor is the genius - hmmmmm)

So, thoughts? 

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.