Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2002/april/200204_specialtyfile_lingenfelter.xml

For those of us fortunate enough to live out west where the buffalo roam, this C5 would fit nicely in the garage next to the Suburbans.

UncleLee

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I read the part about $46/Hp, and I was going to immediately call my banker. I seen now, that's the price of the bolt-ons. You have to already have the Z06, wich is about double the $46/hp rate in the first place.

Heart rate returning to 'office' level.

5Speed

I drove your father's (or maybe grandfather's) Vettes, the last ons I owned being a 70 big block in 76, and while I'll admit the new version are great cars, they don't do anything for me.
the last ons I owned being a 70 big block in 76

========================================================================

In 1965, my father bought a 1963 Stingray Coupe with the 300hp 327 and 2-speed powerglide. That same year, I almost bought a 1958 Corvette roadster 283/T-10 4spd, but I realized I couldn't afford the insurance.

UncleLee
RE: "and 2-speed powerglide"

OUCH!

RE: "I couldn't afford the insurance"

In 65? You must have already had a record. (The most I ever paid back then was $91/month for just liability on a 69 RoadRunner in 1970)

Older and wiser, or at least still alive to tell about it and richer.

SB
...In 65? You must have already had a record. (The most I ever paid back then was $91/month for just liability on a 69 RoadRunner in 1970)
Older and wiser, or at least still alive to tell about it and richer.

SB

SB, I've got a 69 now and I had a vacuum advance unit put on the distributor yesterday. The valves seem to clatter a little at full throttle at about 110. Do you think its the advance or cheap gas?

Its still pulling at 110 but I don't want to go over 4,000 rpm.

Tigerman
In 65? You must have already had a record.

=======================================================================

♫♫ I'll never tell ♫♫

UncleLee

P.S. There weren't sufficient autocrosses held nearby, so lessons were learned on the back roads.
RE: "cheap gas"

What engine? Although even the standard engine in 69 was designed to run on premium leaded fuel FAR different from anything available at the pump today. Your best bet is to find some racing gasoline. Its expensive, but you can cut it with good pump gas for street driving.

There are new cars with compression ratios approaching what the old muscle cars had that can run on pump gas, but these engines were designed for today's fuel, and cam grinding is so much more accurate today that it used to be that engineers can obtain high cylinder pressures without detonation. The new electronic ignitions and fuel injection systems help too.

Assuming you want to keep your Vette in stock configuration, and don't drive it all that much, I'd suggest the racing gas, and maybe an HEI distributor. Then experiment with carb tuning and ignition timing.

RE: "valves seem to clatter a little"

If it's the original engine, even with low miles, the valve springs are worn out by now.
Assuming you want to keep your Vette in stock configuration, and don't drive it all that much, I'd suggest the racing gas, and maybe an HEI distributor. Then experiment with carb tuning and ignition timing.

RE: "valves seem to clatter a little"

My 69 is a Road Runner and after the new vaccuum advance and some distributor and carb tweaking, it's running a lot better. I've put a few tanks of premium throught it and it likes 93 octane better than 87.
The mechanic took it up to 120 and got rubber in three gears, since then, it's pretty smooth, except at idle it loaps a little. The car had been literally out in the pasture since 96 until last fall. The sun ate up the top of the back seat so I had the seat and the back window shelf fixed.
I've put a master cylinder, wheels cylinders, points, condenser, cap, plugs and wires in it and four tires. The old tires had dry rot on the side walls. It still needs some body work but its a good daily driver for now.

Tigerman

No. of Recommendations: 1
RE: "My 69 is a Road Runner"

Same basic rules apply. You're even in luck. All performance Mopars after 69 came with an electronic ignition, which was great for its day. The latest version is still available as Mopar part #P3690427 (383) or #P3690428 (440). This is the complete distributor with control box and wiring and should cost you a little over $200. Well worth it because it allows you to open up the spark plug point gap and helps to fire that "premium" gas.

I had several of these RR/GTX 383/440's, and as far as fun on the street goes, not many stock vehicles could beat the big block Mopars.