Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
This is probably going to be my final tax season. Told my manager that every year they make a big deal about Joe Tax Preparer who is 93 years old and still comes in 3 days a week to do his regular clients tax returns and their children, grand children and now great grand children. I don't want to be that person.
===============================
Congratulations. A last tax season is a wonderful thing. I wouldn't want to be that person either, even though a reduced workload like that sounds like a luxury. But that's one reason I decided to make a clean break when I retired in October 2015. My thoughts were:

1. I'd seen other guys try to phase out gradually, working part-time or seasonally, and it didn't work out well. Their performance and capabilities went downhill quickly, by not keeping up with developments year-round, both in tax law updates and firm developments. (Software changes, procedures, etc.)

2. As I got older, the stress of tax season got to me, more and more. I was slightly flattered when I gave notice of my impending retirement, (about 9 months in advance), and they asked me if I'd just want to work during tax season, but I said no, because:
(a)Why would I want to work just during the worst part of the year, and not qualify for the employee benefits that I'd get for staying around the other 8 months?
(b) They had a staff shortage at the time, and they had hired some seasonal staff through a temp. staffing firm, and I wanted them to know that if they found someone they wanted to hire as a regular employee, that I wouldn't be there next year.
(c) See item 1.

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.