Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
this is really getting off the subject of IETC but maybe I can find some cliche to wrap it all up...

socks: get good ones

Shoes: put on your good socks and try out the shoes in the store by running with both shoes on. If the shoes feel good, they are right for you. Now.… buy two different pairs and alternate on runs. In this manner, your joints will roll in a slightly different manner and you will avoid repetitive motion injuries. There is a mountain running racer who works at the Arcadia REI who I think is quite knowledgeable about shoes - can't remember his name unfortunately.

When I was putting in 100 miles a week in college, we would change shoes every 3 months, but that was with two pairs of shoes. Certainly, it doesn't hurt to change more frequently.

Also: do the ankle roll thing before each run. Motrin. Don't increase mileage too rapidly. I'm serious when I say that I would start out with a mile or two daily for a week, then 2 miles a day for a week etc. Take the day off after your long run (which should increase only by a mile a week).

Rog
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.