Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

I wanted to put this somewhere I could find it on another computer. Also, you might want to have a look. The url:

http://www.theroot.com/id/45277

Print the post Back To Top
Whoa its scarey to click on blind links...

This is about primary and basic health care.  This is where the US gets into big trouble with not having some kind of universal basic health care. 

Apparently the transmission rates of the HIV is about 5 times higher if you have another kind of STD, so fail to provide basic health care so that people can get birth control and tested regularly and you risk an enormous growth in the spread of AIDS.  This is the primary reason that AIDS spreads so much faster in Africa than in North America.

I'm betting the problem is showing up in blacks simply because they have less access to basic health care, and I'm betting access to health care has been declining.

Wow...frightening....
That survey had less than 1,000 participants. I love how the government puts out these statistics. I'll believe these numbers just as much as I believe there's less than 3% inflation.
oh man, that just ain't right.

Old news. If you guys are interested in this type of stuff, I read a book I think it was called Epidemic. It shows the drastic percentages of adolescents just like this that are affected by an STD. It also reports on the psychological effect as well.

This type of percentage reporting is very disturbing, other communities are hit harder than others obviously. When I was teaching HS mathematics I use to use the percentages from the book to help the students realize what the true epidemic really is. Our kids really are uneducated in this area, but feel that they know more than us 30+ year olds.

I will give the title and author of the book tomorrow. Even if the numbers are off, there still needs to be more involvement in teaching/educating the up and coming generations. 

Just thought I would throw that in for a laugh. 

What I was interested in was the takeaway that black kids are behaving just as safely as other kids because even though they have way more sex they use condoms and get tested for AIDS. For one thing, condoms reduce the likelihood of the spread of disease, they don't eliminate it. For another, if you go have sex and then go get tested for AIDS, it could be too late for you already. This idea that black kids are not taking risks because they use condoms when they're promiscuous would be funny if it were in a fictional setting, but it's really sad. We've sold the black kids on condom use, and this is what happened.

Good point. The alternative is abstinence which doesn't seem to catch on with the masses. So it is either sex with a condom, but give a BJ/chowbox with no condom or be educated on who you are having sex with. I choose education and getting BJ.

This isn't just tied to the black community it is everywhere, it is just ignored in other communities because they  haven't had issues with it before but it will become a topic when the media decides to make it one. The more parents that find out about little Jonny/Jill being infected with an STD the more attention this will get and that is what is sad. More attention should already be on this topic.   

Thank you for those lovely mental images, madcowmonkey. Do you really think that alternative sex acts don't spread STI and STD? I guess that's the danger of believing Slick Willie's "It's not sex" line. Whether or not it's sex, having other parts of your body in contact with the genitalia of others and having your genitalia in contact with other body parts that have been in contact with infected genitalia put you at risk of infection. Also, you may be infected and not know it, if you have not been tested.

Further, abstinence catches on with almost all of those who are taught it to the exclusion of "It's okay to have sex if you use a condom and stay sober," which seems to be the line of the story I linked to. Well, it looks like other races were taught abstinence more than blacks, and blacks are suffering from the exaggeration of the safety of "safe sex."

"So it is either sex with a condom, but give a BJ/chowbox with no condom" 

This is me saying that some will have intercourse with a condom, but then are stupid enough to go give/get BJ/chowbox. I just didn't word it correctly. All I am saying in the end is that daddy just wanted a BJ. end of story. no sti/std just bj. 

Hey fleabagger. Do a post on BSC it is more fun than talking about not using condoms. Oh wait, that is what the media does. See this is why the % keep growing. Nobody really wants to talk about it.