Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 21
This is the Catholic Church we're talking about - an entity with a long and well-known history of being strongly opposed to abortion.

And yet you gloss over the words "cells derive decades ago from an abortion" as if they have no meaning, relevance, or importance.

(Note: I am not endorsing the Church's position. I am merely noting an apparent fact relevant to THAT vaccine that has not been claimed or shown to be relevant to the others.)

Ah, but I did show that it was relevant to the others I named. And that the Church did not claim the same objection for other vaccines that used the "bad" cells.

But maybe I wasn't clear enough for everyone to understand what I meant. Maybe I relied too much on sarcasm to help make my point and that doing so obscured my point for some.

Here's a table laying out the vaccines, where fetal cell line cells (FCLC) were used according to the linked article, and which ones the linked article said that the Church (aka U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, USCCB) objected to. And which ones it didn't. No sarcasm here to muddle what I meant.

FCLC FCLC USCCB
Vaccine Development Manufacturing Objection
J&J Covid-19 Yes Yes Yes
Pfizer Covid-19 Yes No No
Moderna Covid-19 Yes No No
Chickenpox ???* Yes No
Hepatitis A ???* Yes No
Rubella ???* Yes No
Shingles ???* Yes No

*Almost certainly "yes" given modern vaccine research methodology and the rapid reproduction cycle FCLCs exhibit which make them so convenient for this type of research and development (according to the linked article). But not stated explicitly in the article and this is therefore my own hypothesis.

Back to my point.

IF use of FCLC is objectionable to the Church / USCCB because of its historical connection to an aborted fetus, then why does the Church / USCCB object to ONLY the J&J vaccine? Every other vaccine listed includes use of FCLC in either development or manufacturing, and in at least one case, both.

The Church / USCCB is trying to have it both ways. The Church / USCCB is saying don't use the J&J vaccine because of the abortion connection through use of LCBC. But the others are okay, despite the abortion connection through use of LCBC.

Nuh-uh. No way. Either all are bad because they use the objectionable, abortion-related FCLC, or none are bad. You cannot have it both ways, Church / USCCB.

I hope that's clear enough for everyone to get my point.

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.