Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
This is the first time i have completed a Rule Maker Ranker
Spreadsheet. Would someone care to look this over and tell
me if i did this right?

Donald,

I just took a look at your spreadsheet, and it looks pretty accurate. I would only make the following comments about your numbers:

1) I noticed for JNJ that you included "Acquistions of Businesses, net of cash required" in the Capital Expenditures line. Depending on who you ask, you will get different opinions on whether to include this item or not. My personal opinion is to not include it, since it can have such a dramatic effect on the numbers (depending on the size or number of the companies that were acquired).

2) You might want to use the pro-forma income statement for FY 2000 for JNJ, since their reported net income was lowered somewhat due to $54 million worth of "purchased in-process R&D". Since this item is a one-time charge, I would feel safe in excluding it from the calculations. If you look at the following link, it gives you a breakdown of what the numbers would be if the one-time special charges were removed for FY 2000:

http://www.corporate-ir.net/media_files/nys/jnj/reports/financialsQ400.pdf

3) Pfizer's net income in 2000 was reduced considerably due to special charges relating to the merger with Warner-Lambert. Therefore, I would use the pro-forma net income in this case as well. You can get the pro-forma income statement for FY 2000 from the following link:

http://www.pfizer.com/pfizerinc/investing/annual/earnings/2000Q4earnpr.html

I'll admit, I didn't really look at the Proctor and Gamble numbers, so I'm not sure if they are right or not. I'm starting to get kinda lazy here in my old age. :-)

Anyway, hope this helps.

the LanceMan

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.