Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
This is the problem. All the patterns I have seen in the beginner books, say something like used worsted 100% cotton size 10. That implies there is worsted cotton yarn that is available in other sizes. If the size isn't on the packaging, how do you tell what size it is?

Ahh, you're talking about cotton thread, not yarn. I apologize. My mistake.

Thread is the very thin stuff used for doilies and bedspreads and tablecloths. My grandmother made dozens of them. It comes in a different sort of package, and looks as though it could be dropped on a spool, and there should be a label on the top part that gives the weight, which would be 10, 20, 30, and so on.

Yarn is in a skein, and would be sold as worsted, sport weight, bulky, and so on.

That's probably what confused you, because I was thinking in terms of yarn, not thread. Was there a label on the top? There would be a band around the middle, and a paper label at the top, and one or the other should include the weight.

Does that help?

Nancy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.