No. of Recommendations: 2
This is the situation I am in. I am 46 almost 47 years old. I was more or less forced into early retirement. I had been putting $200/month (for 16 years) in a 403B while working as a lab technician at the University of Tennessee. My 403B had grown nicely to about $206,000. I had worked my way up from $13,800 per year to $28,0000 per year. My female boss (German immigrant) comes in and says I am making too much money and says she can't afford me and has to let me go. So, I try and finish a masters in Education to become a teacher; I finish all the classwork and then FLUNK THE INTERNSHIP because I can't get the kids to pay attention. So, I go back to work in the basement animal facility of the Vet School making $15,000 a year cleaning animal cages. I do that for 10 months and say to myself I can't do this any longer. So, my old boss tries to hire me back at $18,000 a year. I go upstairs and work for her for 1 & 1/2 days and just get up and walk out. I just couldn't do the same work I'd been doing for $28,000 a year for $18,000 a year. I am the king of cheap I actually probably live on around $800/month. I had gotten on the IPS Funds website, while working in the Lab Animal Facilities, and they have a really good annuity calculator, really simple to use and figured out that I could make as much as I was making off my 403B using the 72t distributions as I was making cleaning animal cages. I told my wife I was through. She didn't care as long as I could help with the bills. I was lucky because my wife is a college professor with good health insurance and so I could get on her policy (a biggie!). So now I am living on like $17,000 a year and loving it. I am not really suffering at all. I never did like going to the malls and spending tons of money anyway. I am never going back to work. NOT IN THIS LIFE!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.