No. of Recommendations: 1
This is to be my first home, not a rental property but I need to have the ability to rent it out when I’m out of the city for extended periods of time.

If you 'need' to rent it out when you aren't occupying it, then it's a rental property. If you want it to be an owner/occupant property, you need to have enough money set aside in reserves to pay the associated bills without having to rent it out for at least the length of the occupancy requirement imposed by your lender, in case you cannot get the occupancy requirement waived.

Print the post  


Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.