Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
This is veering off-topic now. So I won't belabor this. But one has to plan fuel stops too. If you're on I10 to L.A. there are long stretches of nuthin'. You need to be sure you can cover the distance to the next gas station.

The only real difference is that there are fewer charging stations than gas stations (for now)

I once drove from Houston to Fort Stockton, both in Texas. Stopped for lunch snack and the fuel gage was high enough I thought to stop for gas later. That part of Texas is described as "mile after mile of mile after mile". I began to get nervous. The sun was setting and there were no towns on our route. The fuel gage looked like we wouldn't get all the way to Ft. Stockton. I slowed down to get better gas mileage (IIRC, the speed limit is 85 along that stretch of I-10.) After while the Countess noticed that I had slowed down and asked why, so I had to tell her. It became quite dark with no stations at all. Finally we saw a lighted sign in the distance, well off the freeway, so we exited and drove a couple of miles to find a little grocery/gas station. Biiiig relief. We got our gas and went on the Ft. Stockton. (No toilets, so I used God's Great Toilet - after all, it was dark. The Countess just clenched a little harder.)

As a sequel to my story, on arriving in Ft. Stockton, all the motels had "No Vacancy" sighs out. We finally took a room in a dump of a place. I invented an excuse and left the Countess while I scoured the area and found a Motel 8. It was much nicer than where we were, so I took a room. Drove back and got the Countess. I was surprised they let us leave and cancelled our credit card charge. Said there was no issue of filling every room. I asked why, and he said the Oil Patch was hot and jobs were plentiful, so men were flocking there to get work.

We actually liked the Motel 8. Would stay there again.

CNC
... good we didn't have an EV.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.