No. of Recommendations: 70
This is what I plan on using. Since we are Christians and follow a Biblically based lifestyle, we should have no problem with qualifications.

I'm not sure how this matters to a private insurance company. Without regulations, they decide on many different factors, one of the most important is "pre-existing conditions."

I am 68. I was on the committee to track down all of our 280 classmates of the High School Class of '64. We found all but 20, but we also found 40 who were already dead, and several others who were unable to attend because they were in wheelchairs or otherwise incapacitated. Many of the deceased were those who were athletes, fit, and who lived what we guess to be "normal lifestyles" (wives and children mentioned in the obits.) Three were medical doctors. One was a fitness trainer. They died anywhere from age 30 to just months before the reunion.

My wife's best friend was chugging along fine until a couple years ago. She did not smoke, ate healthy, bicycled and walked daily in Florida. Quite suddenly, at age 58, they found a cancer on her pancreas and she died last year following two years of chemo and other treatments which cost in excess of $10k per month. The hospital bills for exams, diagnosis, tests and so on were in the hundreds of thousands. Let's pretend for a moment that her husband lost his job at just the time her tumor was discovered. Do you think any private insurance company would have said "Oh sure, sign right up! You have a biblical lifestyle? Great!"

These are the kinds of things that happen in the real world. I hope they do not happen to you, but I wish that you would exhibit some empathy towards people who have not been so fortunate as yourself. And I would note that no matter how much you have been socking away into an HSA account, there are situations which defy your tidy situation, at least such as it has existed to this point.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.