Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
This isn't a homophone confusion, but your exasperating/exacerbating post made me thing of it. It is exasperating like crazy, and every time I hear it, my exasperation is exacerbated--especially because my husband actually thinks this commercial is using the word properly!!!!

The commercial, probably for an anti-pain/inflammation OTC--involves a young male athlete who is describing his experience when he injured himself playing whatever--hockey, perhaps, which is one of the sports we watch (along with soccer and football....forget the other stuff)--and he says: "The pain was insatiable!!" He'd never experienced anything like it before.

So I yell at the TV and say it's "excruciating" you idiot! Doesn't ANYone understand words these days? Didn't ANYone pick that up??" Then my adorable husband tells me insatiable makes perfect good sense. I explain that insatiable refers to an appetite of some kind that can't be satisfied. And his pain is excruciating, not insatiable. But my husband doesn't get it, for some odd reason. I gave up trying to provide clarity on that. But I can't help growling every frigging time that commercial comes on.

=sheila
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.