No. of Recommendations: 14
This may be a bad idea, or useless, but I put in my time at TMF and am indulging myself in an almost eight year lookback...

Today is the first official day of my retirement. I will be getting $3300 a month before taxes. I'm leveling SSA with my government pension. I'm 54, so Medicare is a long way away. DH is still employed and grosses $6000 a month. Before the hating starts, please realize I have gotten into scary debt before and dug back out, but some of that was by using inherited funds, and was a one-time deal.

Still retired. DH retired last month. What I didn't know in 2011 was that he'd retire from the above job in 2013 then get offered a higher paying job in another city that he would go on to keep for five years. No idea this would happen.

My health insurance will be $590 a month to keep it with my employer. That popped up to $685 but now that I'm 62, it feels very affordable. DH has started Medicare and pays under $100 for dental and vision. He has one Rx--for glaucoma because after learning he needed to keep a watch on his pre-glaucoma, he neglected going back for six years. Pro-tip: don't do that.

Because of screwy family dynamics, I've been paying $495 mortgage payment on a house family members live in for "free". They have spent lots of their own money to rehab the house and land, so it was worth it to let them live there, but now, both adults are working full time. I would like to ask them to buy the house for enough to pay off the mortgage ($60K)--I don't really want to get into them paying me monthly, because that seems like a recipe for resentment. So, bringing up the issue of them buying the house is my goal for this month. Thank the Gods we paid this faithfully...when the marriage blew up in 2016, my ex-SIL couldn't touch the house. This kept a roof over our DD and DGKs' heads. When the dust settled, we transferred the house to DD. We are very happy with how this turned out.

We owe $7000 on a vehicle--we have $32k in savings @1.25% interest and the truck payment is @6%--I'd like to just pay this of but DH hates to pull out savings. We did pay this off, bought the next one in cash, IIRC. Haven't had a car payment since.

Our house payment is $750, we owe $110K--I would like to pay this down or off before DH retires (no set date for that yet). Yes and no...We lowered it to $590 by refinancing. We rented an apartment in a big city for way too long--almost 3 years--and finally realized we would stay in the big city with the aforementioned house transitioning into a weekend family getaway. Our apartment rent was insane--$1700 a month. Now we have a manageable condo for $950. And easy access to doctors, dentists, vets and shopping. A gallon of gas lasts six weeks or more.

Our cell phone bill is $290, covering 3 phones and mobile internet. Now that I'm not working, I want to trim our package considerably (lots of my cell time was work-related). Still laughing at this. Now we pay $500 because in the marital breakup etc. we put DD and her kids on our plan so evil ex couldn't suddenly cut services. DS and his wife are on our plan because it's cheaper all together on one plan that three families, three plans.

CCs are still paid off every month. We probably need to tweak those and drop a couple. What's left are high annual fee cards but every time I crunch the numbers we get an equal amount of value out of all but one, so that'll probably get bumped down to a no or low fee card.

We are not saving enough. I haven't budgeted for what I can put into savings with my retirement (I was putting $200 in a MM and $240 in my 401k, but can't do that anymore). He is not putting anywhere near enough into his 401k--$300 a month on an income of $92k a year. 6% of his pay goes towards his retirement plan. He has about $55k in his 401k; I have $83k. We have another $115k in mutual funds.

This jumped around. I *tripled* what I was saving, he bumped his 401K up to $500 and saved much more in MMs. We could have done better, though. Our savings/investments in different places add up to around $450K (maybe not this week, though). Investments got adjusted so that they produce more income than they did in 2011. As I said, we could have done better but we ended up paying a couplefew years of higher education for two of the grands. They're on track to come out of school with no loans and all plan to or already are working in nursing. We set up 529 college funds for the littlest ones so even if we go broke by the time they're college age they'll have a start.

Federal taxes hit us hard after 2013, between income and capital gains. We had never made that much money and had no idea how much we'd owe. That should change considerably in 2019.

I'm not thrilled about two mortgages but both places are an easy sell if we needed to. And $1500 a month is not bad, in our eyes.

I want to keep Netflix at $10 a month, World of warcraft at $14 a month, internet and cell phone service but cheaper than now, Booksfree at $20 month (may let that go).
I did drop Booksfree, Netflix went up to $15, still paying for WoW. We use the library a whole lot more.

I want to get some contract work, but not for six months or so. Oh man...this was a bust foa a long time. Social workers are horrible about honoring contracts and designing studies. OTOH, I did pick up a PT gig that generates around $2400 a year, plus per Diem and tips, and lets me travel and stay in fancy hotels...all of which generates more points for personal travel.

I can still get spendy but not like I did in 2014-15. I had no idea back in 2011 what the line item for pet care would look like. That can be tweaked a bit but with a 15 y o dog, it's still going to cost.

Spending on fitness and good health maintenance is a lot more than I anticipated but so much cheaper than health problems. DH being retired so far has meant no dry cleaning, no stress eating/stress-going-out-to-eat-because-OMG-his-day-sucked, no lunches out.

I was so nervous in 2011 about how this would turn out. There are still areas that need improvement and plenty of areas benefited from sheer luck, not any great management.

Anyways, TL-DR...it all worked out but in 2011, I couldn't have foreseen 90% of what came down the pike.

cm,

wondering what I'll post in 2027
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.