Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
This may or may not be a fine point since your wife died too. If you are not living in a common property state (Nebraska doesn't seem to be), it seems likely you would receive a stepped up cost basis yourself. But if you were living in a common property state, once the property passed to your wife you may have become a co-owner - giving you a 50% ownership at your wife's cost basis. However the common property state may also exclude inheritances ... meaning this might not be a straight-forward issue.

But since Nebraska doesn't appear to be a common property state, I *think* none of that is an issue for you.

I think you mean 'community property' not 'common property'.

That said, in community property states, gifts and inheritances generally remain the sole and separate property of the beneficiary, unless the beneficiary chooses to give the property to the marriage community, such as by moving it to a joint account, or adding the spouse's name to the account's title. Since the property wasn't even received until after the wife's death, presumably, this choice was not made. Therefore, even though, IIRC, MCCrockett lives in California (a community property state), he would not have had any ownership or basis in this account.

And even if the property had been given to the marriage community, all of the community property generally gets a step up in basis to the fair market value upon the death of one of the spouses. From IRS Pub 551 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p551.pdf

Community Property In community property states (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin), married individuals are each usually considered to own half the community property. When either spouse dies, the total value of the community property, even the part belonging to the surviving spouse, generally becomes the basis of the entire property.

So, in either case, the basis would be the value as of the wife's death, or an alternate valuation date (as explained in my previous post).

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

Done.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.