Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 11
This may seem silly to ask, but what would happen to my drip shares should I meet an untimely death. (as if any death is "timely.")

Do the shares get transferred to one or more beneficiaries who can continue to contribute? (I've not designated one.)
Are the shares sold and proceeds distributed to my heirs?

Is there any particular good/bad way to deal with this subject?

Melissa
========

Charles Schultz had a very timely death, but that is the only example I know of a timely death besides OB's example of the chairman of Bre-X.

What happens to your possessions after death is up to the laws of yuor state and depends on any will, or estate plan you have or will have. Chances are if there is no will or estate plan, the stock will be sold and the proceeds will go toward paying the court for the time and trouble they go through to settle your estate. If there is anything left they will determine who gets the balance.

exilion
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.