No. of Recommendations: 0
This one is easy. Don't plug a printer into a UPS. Printers don't need UPS protection. If the power goes out in the middle of a print job, you can pretty easily reprint the item.

Laser printers have a big spike in power draw as they start up. They need to heat up the fuser quickly so they can start printing. So, like refrigerators, they can cause a voltage sag in older homes with old wiring. There isn't much you can do about that short of re-wiring the house with less stuff on each circuit, or dedicated circuits for computer equipment.

No, my brother laser printer is NOT plugged in the UPS, only the Mac Pro is being protected. The rest are other outlets in the room, but all are, for now on that same breaker. So the laser startup load dips everything, but only the UPS reacts.

The new breaker run is for the laser printer, but could be the other way round, I suppose, put the UPS on it, leave the rest where they are.. My choice is to dedicate it, the new breaker run, to the laser printer...

So far, too rainy to get much done today, one more conduit piece to cut/glue, pop the hole in the box, then run the wires.. Maybe it will clear off tomorrow...

We have another APC UPS on DW's iMac, but no need for any others... A line conditioner is on the TV/DVD/Cable box, but it's not a UPS...

weco
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.