Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
This review has found that each electric vehicle could impose additional network and generation costs from $7500 up to $10,000 per vehicle over the 5 years from 2015 to 2020 in the absence of appropriate pricing signals and efficient charging decisions.

These numbers are ridiculous.

First off, most initial EV owners (next 10 years) are not going to be driving as many miles as conventional car drivers. The cars just don't go that far and you mostly charge once per day. (i.e. no 2 week 3000 mile vacations, etc). So the average miles per year will be somewhat less than the 12,000 - 15,000 miles that is average in the US (not sure about Australia). I'll estimate with 10K miles.

It takes about 200 - 300 watt-hours per mile for most EVs. I've been driving a Prius plugin and I'm getting ~175 wh/mile in warmer weather and 190 wh/mile in winter. Let's say it is 250 wh/mile to allow for hard driving and less efficient cars.

So for 1 year at 10K miles that is about 2500 kw-hours of electricity. For 5 years that is 12500 kwh. At $0.10/kwh that is about $1250. At least 50-75% of those kwh will be consumed while charging at night and this imposes no additional burden on the grid in terms of capital costs...just fuel costs.

So how is it that they come up with the $7500 - $10000 over 5 years per car? Makes no sense.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.