No. of Recommendations: 2
27August2004, a perfect Colorado mountain day and a breathtaking road to enjoy it with....

I think you can go direct to this gathering of photos that accompany this story.
http://groups.aol.com/jammerhog?mmch_=0

We were on a ride for a bachelor party with 3 brothers on Friday & Saturday. Several rented Harley's in Colorado Sprgs having flown in from Texas and Pennsylvania.

On Friday we endured rain for the first 100 miles, lightning strikes around us when in an open bowl with no chance for cover, hail for 30 miles, a portion of slush covered road when cresting Kenosha Pass on Hwy-285, tremendous wind gusts, temps in the 30's and, briefly, even snow when cresting Hoosier Pass before getting to Grand Lake for the night. We toured Granby and saw what damage a Cat D-9 armored bulldozer can wreak at the control of a crazed man.

The Lone Eagle Inn had full size beds in seperate suites lined with knotty-pine, a hotub, offered towels to clean the scooters with and even had a hot water supplied hose for the job!

Saturday was beautiful, I even got sun burned forgetting to grease up my only exposed skin, my nose, being over two miles closer to the sun in thin air than flat-landers are.

The photo titled "Road to Snowhere" is taken from where around the bend is Milner Pass, the highest paved, continuous road in North America. Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mtn National Park at its peak, literally. It was closed the day before for 30" snow drifts and blizzard conditions. And there are no guard rails, no fences, and for most of the way, not even 6" of gravel for a shoulder. The drop off from the pavement may be 500 feet or more.

The temperature at the visitor center, 30 degrees at best. In the photos you will notice we are above clouds which are forming as we sit there taking a break, catching our breath, literally.

By the time we left Rocky Mtn Nat Park we saw a moose, two bull-elk locking horns, 8 other elk, four deer and a coyote. Yet somehow I was given the impression that it was us on our Harley's that took most folks also up there braving the cold and snow by surprise. Several times I saw folks point, jaws dropping and some snapping photographs of 7 motorcycles gleaning in the bright sun motoring past.

What they missed were Elk sitting overhead on stone perches watching you as you switched back & forth on Trail Ridge because they were not visible from inside their heated comfy cages.

The brothers were in awe.

At 25, 28 & 32 and previous rice or Ducatti riders, they don't exactly fit the pundits demographics for Harley's aging buyers, but then bikers rarely fit much of anything. All I know is the Fly-n-Ride program sure provides some great opportunities.

I feel three new Harley sales in 2005 should be credited to us.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.