Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 16
I've read quite a few messages in this board from those who have complaints about rebalancing, commissions, lack of more backtesting, lack of data for annual rebalancing, and other problems with the Unemotional Growth strategy.
Here's a similar strategy I've backtested all the way to 1984, so that results include the tough market of 1987. This is kind of similar to the UG strategy, and the core of the screen was not developed by me, but by James O'Shaugnessy in his book Invest Like The Best. I tweaked his model slightly:
Using Value Line's Value Screen software ($55 for a trial few months), sort for: 26-wk price change>20%; eps growth 1 yr> 20%; eps growth last qtr>20%; est. eps change 1 yr>29%; timeliness rank<3.
This screen, which is quite similar to the UG screen (in fact it often returns some of the same stocks) in that it emphasizes relative strength and strong eps rank, will usually return about 15 stocks. Once the list is screened, select the five stocks with the largest market capatilazations (the biggest of the group) for purchase, to hold one year, then run the screen again.
I have backtested this with Value Line's data going back to Jan 1 1984, doing a new sort for a new five stocks each January. The annual return is 46 percent per year, with no down years. For more, see O'Shaugnessy's book, Invest Like the Best. No fooling!

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.