Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
This summer, I did without the AC and used fans extensively. I tend to hang out in one room anyway. I cut my electric bill by 2/3.

One of my reasons for doing this is the up and down of the temps. I decided in the spring that when the temps were consistently at 99 or higher for at least five days in a row, I would turn on the AC. I hate going through the house, putting all the storm windows down and closing everything up; then a couple days later having to do it all over again to open up the house.

It worked out great! There were only four days in August when I broke down and turned on the AC -- two weekends in a row for two days each -- even though the temps never reached 100. I just couldn't take the heat any more and needed a respite.

In the winter, I have an electric mattress pad, flannel sheets and three heavy blankets on my bed. That way, I can turn down the thermostat.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.