Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
This too, is beginning to take shape, as numerous companies have signed on the .NET platform over the past few weeks. The clouds are disappearing slowly, and it seems like MSFT once again, could snatch victory from defeat.

Windows XP will jumpstart the PC industry into another upgrade cycle...

I would tend to agree. Keep in mind though that XP probably won't be shipping until first quarter 2002. The stock could go a lot lower between now and then.

Also, I just heard that they're late releasing their devloper's SW on the X-Box, which means that there will be less games available initially.

As to .NET, I don't know, in this economy, how many of the big players are going to upgrade within the next 18 months. My guess is not too many. OTOH, I run a very small (infinitesimal) IT dept in a very small business. We did not upgrade to the NT platform or SQL Server. We are still running Foxpro DOS on Win95. We are going to upgrade to SQL Server 2000 (because of its low price and good performance), and I want to wait for the NET platform because I don't want to be stuck with a legacy system in 4 years, and I want the built-in XML capability. This will be a huge capital investment for us, as it involves a total re-engineering. I don't know how many small firms like mine there are, probably not very many. Most of them will either stay with NT if they're already on it, or go with VFP and/or Access. I do think that SQL Server 2000 will cut into Oracle's market share, I just think that the timing might be later, rather than sooner.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that long-term (18 mos-5 years) the outlook looks good, but I don't think the upside will come sooner than 12 months.

Just my 2c (which is all I've got left)....
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.