Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
This was discussed on the Health and Nutrition board. Unfortunately the group that performed the study is a front for PETA and definitely biased.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=24412093

Unfortunately, I'd say the credibility is low for the group that performed the study based on the information which others posted in that thread.

I don't think your statement is accurate. PCRM has a link to PeTA on their website. That does not make them a "front" for them.

The main organization attempting to discredit PCRM is a coalition of restaurant and food industry people called the Center for Consumer Freedom.

It is one of their subsidiary websites (http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/23) that was linked in the supposed rebuttal. Not exactly who I'm going to be looking to for my nutritional advice.

I guess I'd rather just, uh, follow the money. Widespread adoption of veg*nism is a monetary threat to the meat and dairy industries. The additoinal adoption (as recommended by the PCRM) of a whole foods diet is a threat to all our good friends in the processed food industry who would never, ever sell consumers a bill of goods.

It's not like the watermelon lobbby has a whole freakin' lot of money to spend. But of course University of Toronto and Georgetown University are bastions of scientific deceit and trickery.

I have to laugh ... most of the research I've read completely trends towards the same results as this study. So the PCRM touches it and makes it suspect ... but we're supposed to take the word of the meat, dairy and processed food industries that their studies are untainted?

I also notice nobody really debunked the study itself on that thread. Clever, isn't it? "OH! It's PCRM so I can go on ignoring what they say!" Dean Ornish's studies have vastly similar findings, and he's not a member of PCRM.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.