Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
"The Power and The Glory" by Graham Greene, really good book, finished it off in a day. I give it ***1/2 out of ****. It deals with a Catholic priest during the Mexican revolution, very inspiring.

Also "The Cider House Rules" by John Irving. I haven't seen the movie, thought the book was *** out of **** stars. It tried my patience the first three hundred pages, but it is pretty engrossing after that. It's the only Irving book I've liked other than Garp (damn I wish they hadn't made a movie out of Garp, I hated it).
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
This week end I finished "The Bonesetter's Daughter" - Amy Tan (****)

and started "The Red Tent" - Anita Diamant

Penny
No. of Recommendations: 1
Started The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.
Almost finished "The World as I Found It" by Bruce Duffy. A very interesting novel about three philosophers, G.E. Moore, Ludwig Wittgenstein and Bertram Russell. At least the philosophy didn't make my eyes glaze over.

Bertram Russell sure was slimy. It amazes me though that he was in his forties when he protested against WWI and lived to protest against Vietnam.

Thuvia
who confesses to taking a break to read "Basket Case"
by Carl Hiassen.
I love Carl Hiassen, having spent pretty much all my life in Florida. I have read all his books that have been available in paperback or in the library.

If you like his books, check out Randy Wayne White, who writes some very good Florida mysteries (not as whacky as Hiassen, but with more of an appreciation of the "natural Florida" as it was and as it will never be again). I consider Randy's non-fiction better than his fiction (if you are ever in a funk and need to laugh until you can't breath, buy his "Batfishing In The Rainforest"), but both are very good.

Thanks for the tip. I looked him up on Amazon and his essays sound terrific. I was going to work out at lunch; instead I think I'll stroll over to the library and see which books of his they have.

Thuvia
If you like his books, check out...

Tim Dorsey. This former Tampa Tribune writer turned author does an excellent job using Florida settings as a backdrop for the over-the-top characters a la Hiassen. The recurring character Serge A. Storms is a Floridaphile and psychopath, which makes for an extremely interesting mix.

Also consider Dave Barry, whose "Big Trouble" is a recent movie.

Moonglade
Florida resident since 1972 AND a 1991 Gator grad :)
Yesterday I read Ender's Game, thanks to the fine folk here who recommended it. I read the last few pages 4 times. Great story.