Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
I went home this weekend. First time in 3 weeks! AGH! DH and I went to the Atlanta antique flea market. Slim pickings. DH found a couple of blue canning jars to add to his collection. I found some cool stuff but didn't acutally buy anything. We both had fun even though it rained on and off causing the outside dealers we normally deal with to cover up their stuff. Of course August is a slow month in the south.

On our way back to the farm, DH saw some yard sale signs. I was anxious to get back because I had a friend who was stopping by at a specific time. He dropped me off and went back to some of the yard sales. Found little. He also stopped at the 'recycle center.' Unreal what people continue to throw away. Got a very nice golf bag full of very nice clubs (my farm managers husband was looking for a set because he wanted to start playing, well BINGO!).

DH started talking to the guy dropping off household garbage behind him. My DH is good at starting conversations. The guy had an old grocery store (vintage 1909) and had a bunch of old bottles at the store and he was cleaning out his store to get rid of 'junk'. DH jumped on it. He picked me up and we went to the store (wow, it was sooo historic) and DH bought out all his antique Coca Cola (and other) bottles for $100. He got over 1100 bottles worth well more than what he paid and it included rare cases.

Despite the heat we schlepped the cases of bottles from the second story of the old store to our truck and crammed everything in. When we got back home DH unloaded them, checking some and found some very valuable bottles! He found three that he gave me as a present. They were from my home town and from the early part of the 19th century. Very rare. We had an adventure that will continue as we continue to go through all these antique bottles! (you have to be into old bottles to appreciate this!).
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.